Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Affordable" pistol test: Part Deuce

Ruger 9E makes the most sense to me.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

Quote Originally Posted by Sean O View Post

The SD9 test went pretty damn well for a $300 pistol. I understand it is a sample of one, but at this point if someone told me they don't want to buy a used gun and wanted me to suggest a pistol under $350, I would feel comfortable recommending it.
    I have shot hundreds of the "old" Sigmas (that we refer to as the Stigma; I'm sure no explanation why is needed) and dozens of the "Super Stigma" SD9VE and SD40VE. They are quite popular amongst the thugs, because home boy can have his baby momma- at least, the one with a clear record- buy him a decent pistol at Academy for not a lot of scratch.

The older version- SW9VE/SW40VE- worked most of the time, and was better than a sharp stick... usually.

The current SD series pistols are actually rather decent, as you found. The grip ergos are very good, and the triggers have been cleaned up somewhat. Its still a Glock clone, but an acceptable one. Back when Academy was selling them for $299, a pal bought one in .40 for a truck gun. We put 500+ rounds of factory ball through it one afternoon, with nary a hiccup. It is, IMO, solid value for the dollar.

I suspect the Ruger will be likewise. They keep trying to find the sweet spot with their "service" autos, but apparently that isn't in the cards. By that, I mean Ruger has yet to field a service semi-auto that has ANY appeal beyond reliability and ruggedness. Its like taking the fat chick to the prom; yes, she'll give you what you need, but you don't want to be seen in public with her.

Anyway, I think you are doing an excellent service with these tests, especially since you are funding them yourself.

Good on you.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I think you are doing an excellent service with these tests, especially since you are funding them yourself.

Good on you.

Agree 100%.

User Tag List