Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Affordable" pistol test: Part Deuce

"Affordable" pistol test: Part Deuce

Last year I did a 2,000 round test on a S&W SD9VE. I am thinking of doing another test this fall, again using an "affordable" pistol. I want to start with the same criteria for which pistol to choose:

1- 9mm
    2- Street price under $350
    3- Not Taurus or Kel-tec. Looking for *decent* QC minimum.

Current contenders:

1- Ruger 9E ($330)
    2. EAA SAR B6P compact ($272)
    3. SCCY CPX-2 ($260)
    4. Kahr CT9 ($313)

I am leaning toward the B6P, mostly because shooting a DA/SA sounds fun and the price is great. That being said the Ruger 9E and the Kahr seem like solid contenders for a first time pistol shooter, if not the more logical choice for most.

I would love to hear ideas from this board, it was very helpful for the first test. Thank you all in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

We're starting to see more of the CPX-2s in the lab… and that thing is right up there with the KelTec P11 (or whatever the 9mm version is) and the Bryco 59/Jennings Nine as my least favorite pistol to test-fire. This is due to the sharp recoil "slap" these guns deliver. Its a combination of light weight and piss-poor ergos. Well, the Bryco/Jennings certainly isn't light; its just an abortion, period.

That said, the CPX-2 is MUCH improved, quality-wise, from the original SCCY offering. Think Ruger LCP for the trigger; a non-resetting DAO. In other words, the slide must cycle before the trigger will drop the striker.

Of your choices, the Ruger is the only one I'd recommend to a newbie without reservations. The Kahr would be next. I'd pass on the other two if I had any option to at all.

The Ruger 9E looks interesting. I'd love to try one out.

The Canik TP9SA I had was very accurate, and boringly reliable with everything I ran through it. They run $359 at a local shop, and they've sold a trainload of 'em. The range rental one has over 5000 rounds through it with no malfunctions and minimal cleaning and lube. No sight options was the killer for me.

I keep hearing that Taurus has improved QC, but I'm still nervous. I did buy several of their revolvers in the mid 90's and they were excellent, and a friend had one of their Beretta 92 versions that was very nice as well, so I think they CAN make a good gun.

I second the request for the Canik TP9SA, and also check out the Zastava CZ999, available from AIM Surplus for $289.95.

Awesome, thanks guys. LSP972 appreciate the firsthand knowledge. So now it's looking like:

1: Ruger 9E
    2:Canik TP9SA
    3:CZ999
    4:Kahr CT9
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    "You have to go faster to get faster and wasted motion is dumb."

My vote is for the 9E, although the Eastern European guns would be interesting.

How about that fullsize Diamondback 9? Bud's has them for $265 - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/92404

I know the compact guns are very hit or miss, I wonder if the same is true for the full size guns. It would be nice to know if these are crap or not, especially in the long term. Most reviews I've seen are <500 rounds total. And none have done any quantity of work with real carry ammo.

-Rob

I would go with the Ruger or Kahr because both are American companies that support their product.

EAA has a really poor reputation for support and quality, and what kind of aftermarket support is there for the other models?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    EAA has a really poor reputation for support and quality, and what kind of aftermarket support is there for the other models?
    Agreed. No EAA product belongs on the OPs list , as their customer service philosophy echoes M's from 007 :

"If your gun breaks, is seized, or malfunctions we never knew or associated with you in any way."
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Is the 9e different enough from the SR to warrant a test?

Of the choices I'd pick the Canik or Zastava. The Canik is probably most applicable to what a person would pick on a budget....whereas my interest in the Zastava is just to see what happens to a SIG P229 clone half the price of a SIGPRO.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List