Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benelli's, stocks, musings

I got a 21-in. M2 Field three years ago for a snow goose control/3 gun funster. Got the obligatory go-fast Nordic Components goodies and slew a truckload of snows; still ain't done 3-gun so no receiver machining yet.

It's my suburban back door pest gun. Run the regular Comfort Tech w no spacers. A Ute model would be great, but not a priority now. Am going to look up the XS sights however. I like the BDT bead I put on my 14-in. Work 870 a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    OEM sights are so low, I smash my cheek in recoil firing heavy loads. Vent rib with the AO sights works out better in height.
    GJM, do you use a sling or run it bare so it's always in your hands? Mine is currently slingless.

Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    GJM, do you use a sling or run it bare so it's always in your hands? Mine is currently slingless.
    Yes.

My M2's are set up with an AR style QD socket on the left side of the butt stock and fore end. I have a simple AR style carry sling. That allows me to have a sling but also easily remove the sling and stow it in a pocket.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

What light you run on the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Yes.

My M2's are set up with an AR style QD socket on the left side of the butt stock and fore end. I have a simple AR style carry sling. That allows me to have a sling but also easily remove the sling and stow it in a pocket.

Are those factor or aftermarket sights? They remind me of the Remington DEA/Low Profile XS sights..

XS, check the shotgun thread on sights for details.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

On pump guns like the 870 I greatly prefer the conventional stock because it makes it so easy to simply slide your firing hand forward to work the action release. The only advantage I ever saw to the pistol grip stocks is that they made it easier to hold the gun on target one handed but I kind of moved away from that thought process because I never planned to shoot the shotgun that way. If I ever actually had to shoot the thing one handed (injury or similar) I'd just transition to my pistol. That said, as soon as I had a M4 (carbine not Benelli) I never used the shotgun for anything other than dedicated vehicle take downs because of Brenekkes.

On my work 870 I've gone back to a conventional stock, because it's the pretty hard to get it to hang up on anything when deploying from the gun rack between the seats. Outside of that I much prefer a pistol grip.

The Mesa Urbino stocks are nice, but on a non flextab equipped 870, you will break the recoil pad clearing a shell that's stuck on the lifter. The design is not very tolerant to pounding when clearing jammed shells. That said I've also split a birch stock on an 870 and cracked the base of a Hogue recoil pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    On my work 870 I've gone back to a conventional stock, because it's the pretty hard to get it to hang up on anything when deploying from the gun rack between the seats. Outside of that I much prefer a pistol grip.

The Mesa Urbino stocks are nice, but on a non flextab equipped 870, you will break the recoil pad clearing a shell that's stuck on the lifter. The design is not very tolerant to pounding when clearing jammed shells. That said I've also split a birch stock on an 870 and cracked the base of a Hogue recoil pad.
    Good to know about the urbino, but who has a non flex tab 870?

Has anyone pounded on a magpul stock?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Good to know about the urbino, but who has a non flex tab 870?

Has anyone pounded on a magpul stock?
    All of our range's 870s are 30+ years old and none are flex tab. When we tested the Urbinos, I broke the recoil pad when I loaded an old worn out dummy round and it slipped past the shell latch, and I cleared the jam. There are plenty of ways to clear jams that involve grabbing the forend or charging handle and using a judicious slam of the stock on the ground.

I just patio tested the Magpul with no spacers and factory pad, seems fine. Only thing that went wrong is the cover for the mounting screw popped off.

User Tag List