Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benelli's, stocks, musings

When hunting or recreational shooting like skeet or trap I like a traditional stock. When working and I need greater control over the weapon especially when I only have one hand on the weapon I prefer a pistol grip.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Another way to get the Compact is to special order one from Brownell's, but I haven't heard back from them with the price and delivery date. Some may think that the 1/2 reduction isn't worth the trouble -- i am still deciding if I am such a person.
    For S's&G's I looked up Benelli Comfortech stocks on the Numrich Gun Parts web site and... Whoa, Nellie! That'd buy a case of Federal LE1321B!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Not very many shotgun users here, huh?

Site Supporter
    I've had my primary Benelli M1 since 1988. It wears a conventional, pre comfort tech stock and an 18" rifle sight barrel. I have a spate 26" field barrel for it and it covers the vast majority of my shotgun needs. I had another M1 with ghost rings and a pistol grip stock and a 1014/M4 but both were traded off. We run 14" 870's with speed feed 13" LOP pistol grip stocks at work. The CA DOJ Agents I worked with years ago had 14" Benelli M1's with pistol grip stocks.

My shotgun shooting is generally work related or dove hunting / dove season prep. I occasionally shoot some steel with my Winchester Model 12 riot gun because / " The Wild Bunch". I'm looking to pick up another Benelli M1/M2 field gun so I can leave my primary in "fighting mode".

I'm with Surf. I prefer a conventional stock for pure shooting but the pistol grip stock is more practical for handling in an LE or home defense role where you may need your other hand for other things. It also reduces the OAL slightly vs a conventional stock. I've noticed the longer the barrel and magazine tube get the more I prefer a conventional stock.

My question for you, SLG is, is the comfort tech stock that much better than the conventional Benelli stock given it costs more than a blue label Glock?
    Last edited by HCM; 07-04-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Cost is certainly a factor. I don't know that I notice any difference between a conventional Benelli stock (Nova tactical) and a comfort tech stock, but in this case, it doesn't cost me any more to have the comfort tech. I'm going to replace the Urbino on my Super Nova with a compact Comfort tech and see what I think.

As far as the pistol grip giving more advantage for tactical stuff, I'm not sure that holds true for me anymore. It does SOME things better than a conventional stock, but it does OTHER things worse. Pick your poison, I guess. Of course, I don't choose my shotgun for anything these days, so the M4 (AR) gets the nod across the board.

I notice a significant difference in comfort shooting a Benelli M2 with Brenneke slugs with a Comfortech versus a conventional Benelli straight stock.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I used 870's as test beds for various stocks, including Urbino pistol grip and Hogue short stock and settled on the Magpul. LOP is perfect and it distributes recoil better than any other stock I've used. I've never been comfortable with pistol grip stocks, going back to the M1 Super 90 tactical, which I always thought was weird because I love the AR. Anyway, my favorite semiauto is the Beretta Tx4 Storm, very fast and easy to shoot well. I'm not in love with the ghost ring sights, though, and have some issues with an Aimpoint on this gun, mostly head position on the stock. So I'm considering trying an M2 field compact with a tactical barrel with rifle sights instead of ghost rings. But the TX4 stock shape suits me well:

Name:  P1000893.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  56.5 KB

OEM sights are so low, I smash my cheek in recoil firing heavy loads. Vent rib with the AO sights works out better in height.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    OEM sights are so low, I smash my cheek in recoil firing heavy loads. Vent rib with the AO sights works out better in height.
    Which setup are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Which setup are you talking about?
    small factory OEM rifle sights on M1/M2. Nova sights rifle sights seem higher, and not a problem.

User Tag List