Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benelli's, stocks, musings

Benelli's, stocks, musings

I just finished a head to head comparison of the M4 and M2. I shot 30 slugs through each. The M4 had a pistol grip, the M2 had a comfort tech, traditional stock. I could barely tell the difference in recoil, and given that the M4 weighs a pound or so more, it should recoil less. Maybe. I would say I still prefer the M2.

As far as stocks go, I'm curious what you guys think about pistol grip stocks vs. more traditional stocks, on shotguns. Alot has to do with where the safety is located, but overall, I prefer a more traditional stock. The magpul is tops, if your gun accepts it. Also, I pretty much only shoot full power slugs. I don't think the recoil characteristics of your preferred stock mean much shooting loads that don't recoil much.

So, what stock style do you like and why? Which model gun and stock? Safety mods to make it work?

As previously stated:

Magpul butt stock on an 870 with a G,G&G fore end.

Compact length Comfortech with the small Limbsaver OEM pad on an M2. This is my M2 set-up with the Compact Comfortech stock in its non-NFA configuration. I was carrying it hiking up ridges, around brown bears just this morning.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My wrist cant take straight stocks anymore, something about the angle kills me. Mesa Urbino pistol grip w/Limbsaver on my M4 is perfect.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My wrist cant take straight stocks anymore, something about the angle kills me. Mesa Urbino pistol grip w/Limbsaver on my M4 is perfect.
    My supernova has that setup and it certainly works. Shot some clays with it today, ghost ring and all:-) No drama.

This M1 was a trade in from a power company security force.

I just got it back from having the stock cut down to a 12.5" LOP and a Kickease recoil pad installed. Why the Kickease? That's what the gunsmith had.

I haven't shot it yet, but I love the way it handles now.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I can't do full on pistol-grip type stocks on shotguns. They just feel wrong to me.

I really dig the stock on the 1301, it's very good for an OEM piece.

My 870 will get the magpul treatment sooner or later...
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I love the 1301 stock -- feels as good as a stock can, while shooting heavy slugs.

I carry a shotgun in the field, and the pistol grip is something to get caught on stuff and poke me.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As previously stated:

Magpul butt stock on an 870 with a G,G&G fore end.

Compact length Comfortech with the small Limbsaver OEM pad on an M2. This is my M2 set-up with the Compact Comfortech stock in its non-NFA configuration. I was carrying it hiking up ridges, around brown bears just this morning.
    Did that M2 come from the factory in that configuration, or did you change the stock? I was looking around for the compact Comfortech stock but I couldn't find anyone who sold it as a separate component.

I prefer a traditional stock with a behind the trigger safety. A pistol grip and a safety in that location aren't off hand friendly, especially the large Benelli grips. It's still awkward but with a traditional stock I can work the safety with my off hand's middle finger without too much fuss.

I find the pronounced lip on the Benelli pistol grip can get snagged up sometimes and I'm not really sure why it's that big anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by irascible_joe View Post
    Did that M2 come from the factory in that configuration, or did you change the stock? I was looking around for the compact Comfortech stock but I couldn't find anyone who sold it as a separate component.
    The way to get a Compact Comfortech is to buy a 26 inch barrel 12 gauge M2 youth model (or 24 inch 20 gauge). The Compact is about 1/2 inch shorter than the standard Comfortech, both with the smallest OEM Limbsaver pads. A downside of the 24/26 inch barrel, is the spacing on the vent rib is incompatible with being cut to a 14 inch barrel. The 21 inch 12 gauge barrel is handier to me than 24 uncut, and cuts perfectly to 14 inches. Another way to get the Compact is to special order one from Brownell's, but I haven't heard back from them with the price and delivery date. Some may think that the 1/2 reduction isn't worth the trouble -- i am still deciding if I am such a person.

User Tag List