Thread: Week 119: Stop Shooting

Week 119: Stop Shooting

Week 119: Stop Shooting

Results may be posted until August 2nd, 2015.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Target: 6" and 2" circles - download here - http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ch-circles.pdf
    Range: 7 yards
    Rounds: up to 48
    Other equipment: Shot timer with a random start function

We are going to look at the time it takes us to stop shooting, prompted by a simple audible signal. Start with the handgun loaded and either holstered or in ready position of your choice. We are going to fire up to six shots per repetition.

Procedure: Press the button on your timer to commence the unknown countdown to the randomly timed start signal. Upon pressing the button, do not wait for the beep - instead present the gun and begin shooting up to six shots to either the 2" or 6" circle target. When the random start beep occurs, that is your signal to stop shooting, get your finger in register, and bring the gun to ready position of your choice. Record the number of shots the timer detected and their times (the timer should record any shots after the beep starts), as well as whether the target was the 2" or 6" circle. Repeat, alternating between the 2" and 6" circle targets, until you have done eight total repetitions.

Timer considerations: It may be hard to hear the timer while you are firing. Consider enlisting another person to hold the timer near your head, or try clipping the timer onto your hat, ear protection, or the collar area of your shirt, getting it closer to your ears.

It's not important that you fire six shots. What we are actually practicing in this drill is the act of being mentally, visually, and physically in the shooting process, then stopping shooting when we decide to. Ideally, you will start shooting, get multiple good shots fired, then halt the firing process before the expected number of shots are fired, put your finger in register, and bring the gun to a ready position. That's what we are trying to explore and practice.

You may need to adjust the random start of your timer. Mine is set to start randomly from 2-4 seconds after the button is pressed. So for me, I am going to start with the gun holstered, press the start button, count silently 'one thousand one, one thou', and draw and start shooting the six shots. Based on how long I know it takes me to draw, it is likely that the beep will come before I have finished the six shots, which is what we want, because then I have the opportunity to practice responding to a stimulus by stopping shooting, and observe on the timer how long it took me to stop shooting and how many rounds I fired during that time.

Alternative to timer: If you don't have a timer or your timer doesn't have a suitable random start function, you may enlist another person to blow a whistle or otherwise give the stop signal while your are firing. You won't have specific times, but the person can count how many rounds you fired while reacting to the stop signal.

Please report:

Gun and holster/concealment or ready position used

For each repetition report whether it was to the small or large target, the number of hits you got on the target, how long it took you to stop shooting (last shot on the timer), and how many shots you fired after the beep began.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gen 4 G34, starting from low ready or on target

6" circle, 7 hits, 0 misses, 0 over time
    2" circle, 1 hit, 1 miss, 1 over time at 0.15
    6" circle, 4 hits, 0 misses, 1 over time at 0.18
    2" circle, 3 hits, 1 miss, 1 over time at 0.11
    6" circle, 6 hits, 1 miss, 1 over time at 0.30
    2" circle, 2 hits, 1 miss, 0 over time
    6" circle, 5 hits, 0 misses, 1 over time at 0.20
    2" circle, 1 hit, 1 miss, 0 over time

This one was kind of hard for me to run. I'm really digging the Shotmaxx overall but one thing it lacks is the ability to customize the random delay. Started off drawing when starting the timer, but I was having runs where I wouldn't even get one off on the 2" circle and others where I hit slide lock after 10+ rounds on the 6" circle, so I started over using a fixed time and then varying my starting position and the speed at which I went from the starting position to firing in order to add some randomness. That worked better and although the time was fixed I didn't feel like I was gaming it, I never had a feel for when the timer was going to go off.

I'll admit I went into this drill with a preconceived notion of how it would play out. I expected that my trigger finger would speed ahead of my brain on the larger target, making me more likely to be shooting later at the larger target. But in the results above, there wasn't much difference between the 6" and 2" circles in terms of shots over time. I noticed though that I had way too many misses on the 2" circle...I really wasn't taking enough time on those, shooting them more like a 3" circle (or a 2" circle at the shorter distances I'm more familiar with shooting dots at). So I slowed down and shot the 2" circle more carefully, particularly with a more deliberate trigger press.

2" circle, 2 hits, 0 misses, 1 over time at 0.42
    2" circle, 2 hits, 0 misses, 0 over time
    2" circle, 1 hit, 1 miss, 1 over time at 0.08

The over time shot at 0.42 was the most interesting moment of my day. I clearly recall hearing the timer during my trigger pull and not being able to stop myself from pulling the trigger. It was almost an eerie feeling, like someone else was moving my finger. I didn't feel "bad" about any of the earlier shots that came over time, but this one was different, it was clearly my fault that I fired it. With the earlier reps, I really wasn't paying attention to how I pulled the trigger. Jerk jerk jerk jerk STOP! To pull numbers out of my ass, I was splitting my attention 75%/25% between listening for the timer and sight alignment. After refocusing on really hitting that 2" circle, maybe it was 10% listening for the timer, 40% sight alignment, 50% trigger control. The portion devoted to monitoring the situation was not enough to adjust my plan of action. Sobering implications when thinking about how quickly situations in the real world can change.

Edit: The takeaway for me is that the further you develop your skills, the less effort it takes to achieve a given result, and thus the better off you are in difficult situations. Which reminds me of this post from one of the better threads on the Internet.

Last edited by EricM; 07-04-2015 at 01:03 AM.

I worked on this drill on Sunday. I have an older timer with a random start time so it worked fairly well.

Beretta 92G, AIWB holster, button down shirt. I started all evolutions from concealed.

6" circle, 1 Hit, 0 over time
    2" circle, 1 miss, 0 over time
    6" circle, 5 hits, 1 over time at .35
    2" circle, 1 miss, over time at .10
    6" circle, 1 hit, over time .16 (beep time was very short on this run).
    2" circle, 1 hit, 1 miss over time at .35
    6" circle 2 hits, 1 miss over time at .43
    2" 1 miss, no over time

This was an interesting drill. I'm still struggling to reconcile what I think I learned from it so I'll just make one observation: Once I had made the decision to fire and started the trigger press, it was very difficult to stop it.

The two x'd out holes were my fault. I thought I had activated the start button on the timer, but realized after two shots that I must have missed it.

Gen3 G34, Keeper, polo shirt

Large target - 2 shots, 2 hits, 2 over at .22 and .21
    Small target - 3 shots, 1 hit, 1 over at .27
    Large target - 6 shots, 6 hits, no overtime shots detected
    Small target - 2 shots, 2 hits, no overtime shots detected
    Large target - 2 shots, 2 hits, 1 over at .29
    Small target - 2 shots, 1 hit, no overtime shots detected

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment: M&P Pro Series 9mm from the compressed or chest high ready

Shooting on the large circle – Hits per repetition 1, 3, 3, 3, 4 (1 round after the beep at .15 second), 2 for a total 16 hits

Shooting on the small circles – 2, 2(both after the beep at 1.93, did not hear the beep so stopped to check and beeper had sounded), 0, 0, 0, 0, 1 for a total 5 hits.

Obviously the small targets gave me fits and were quite safe from me today. Maybe concentrating on listening for the beeper affected my concentration on the front sight? Have to say I did not feel I got a whole lot from this drill. The reasoning behind it as I understand it, learning to control the trigger and finding out just how much time it takes you to process and carry out the STOP command is good, but the way I conducted it left a lot to be desired. Running this with a partner would have been much better. May try this again when my son is available to help out.

User Tag List