Thread: Week 117: Ready Positions Dry

Week 117: Ready Positions Dry

Week 117: Ready Positions Dry

Results may be posted until July 19th, 2015.

For this drill, all you need is your pistol, a target, and a safe direction. This is going be a dry practice drill that almost everyone can participate in regardless of range restrictions.

At bare minimum, verify gun is unloaded, have no live ammo anywhere in the dry practice area, and keep muzzle in a safe direction. But there is more you can do to ensure safety in dry practice. Please also read Robust Dry Practice Safety Principles and Procedure following the drill description.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Target: Any silhouette target
    Range: Shooter's choice
    Rounds: 0

We are going to continue the practice we started last week of addressing nuances in the presentation of the handgun, this time from ready positions in dry fire.

Each part starts with the gun at a ready position. You choose the ready position(s) to use, but that position should include your finger being in register and you should be able to see the entire silhouette target from your ready position (or at minimum, be able to see the silhouette's hands, were they hanging naturally at its sides.)

Complete as many cycles of the following drill as you want, until you get physically or mentally tired of it. It is fine to break the drill up over multiple sessions. Instead of doing a certain number of repetitions, just keep track of how much time you spend doing the drill.

One cycle of the drill is:

A. Issue verbal challenge. Careful with the verbalization. If you are practicing in a place where there may be people unaware of what you are doing who might hear the verbalization and call 911 or otherwise intervene, then do it quietly. Even if you have to mumble the verbalization, practice saying whatever your verbal challenge is. The gun will stay in the ready position with finger in register the whole time.

B. Present the gun and press one dry shot to the body. We are going to imagine that the threat fell out of the sight picture after the single shot. Put your finger back in register and return the gun to your ready position. You may optionally verbalize.

C. Present the gun and begin to press one dry shot to the body. But before you complete the trigger press, we're going to imagine that the situation has changed and you no longer wish to fire, so immediately stop pressing the trigger, put your finger in register, and bring the gun to your ready position. You may optionally verbalize.

D. Present the gun and press one dry shot to the head. We are going to imagine that the threat fell out of the sight picture after the single shot. Put your finger back in register and return the gun to your ready position. You may optionally verbalize.

E. Present the gun and begin to press one dry shot to the head. But before you complete the trigger press, we're going to imagine that the situation has changed and you no longer wish to fire, so immediately stop pressing the trigger, put your finger in register, and bring the gun to your ready position. You may optionally verbalize.

Please report: gun used, ready positions used, and anything you noticed during the drill.

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Robust Dry Practice Safety Principles and Procedure (the closer you follow this, the fewer opportunities you will have to ND)

Principles:

Allow no distractions – focus exclusively on the task at hand

Keep muzzle in a safe direction

Use correct trigger finger discipline

Verify no live ammo in gun, on person, or in the dry practice area

Use dedicated dry practice targets that are put away until you consciously choose to begin dry practice, and taken down when you consciously end dry practice

Use dedicated dry practice magazines and dummy rounds/inert training cartridges that stay in the dry practice area (if you use any magazine or cartridges)

Procedure:

Unload gun in a location other than the dry practice area

Leave live ammo, and magazines with live ammo, completely outside the dry practice area

Enter the dry practice area

Verify gun is unloaded, that any magazines do not contain live ammo, and that any cartridges present are inert/dummy cartridges

Consciously choose to begin dry practice

Put up dry practice targets

Do your dry practice

Take down dry practice targets and put them away

Consciously choose to end dry practice

Exit the dry practice area and do something unrelated for a few minutes

Return gun to location and condition of your choosing
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gun: HK VP9
    Ready position(s): behind the leg, sul, compressed high ready, compressed low ready and low ready (sort of a progression there...)

Had the house to myself this morning so I was able to verbalize without concern for volume or content I ran this drill several times from each of the ready positions I consider likely as a civilian.

This drill and #116 will definitely become a regular part of my dry fire regimen. Great stuff, Gabe... thanks!!
    "A man's character is his fate."

Gun: M&P 9 Pro Series

Ready positions: low ready, compressed high ready

Tried to work this in for about 2 to 4 minutes each of my regular dry fire sessions. As with the previous DotW working verbal commands to cardboard can be difficult but well worth the effort. Trigger control on the almost shots can be tricky even when you know you will not break the shot. Pushed it to the edge a couple times and went over with a completed trigger press. Partly from working with a pistol I have not handled for a while. Know your equipment and know your abilities.

Gun: CZ 75 SP-01
    Ready positions: start at compressed high ready or retention position (to get a rep in switching safety off), if I do not fire move to low ready position

Similarly with the prior drill this is good for mentally practicing verbalization and decision making in our dry fire. I think I will similarly add these to my practice regimen, even if it's only a few reps. In cases where I fired for this drill, I also practiced looking around for additional people who might be threats, especially making a mental note to check their hands.

Gen3 G34, extended ready:

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gun: Gen 4 G17 with Ameriglo FO front, Hackathorn rear with X400 Ultra (red) attached and with handheld light. SIRT for some movement after the initial feeling out of each position and spot I tried.
    Positions: #2, High compressed ready, Sul, Temple index

Thoughts: I worked a few different angles with my dry fire points and added some new temporary ones as well. Sul definitely is not an active ready position, I was never too terribly fast with it but when considering having to move from one point (bedroom door) to another (behind hard cover) it was much slower. #2 and a high compressed ready, using as much extension as I can, is certainly faster, feels better, and has me "ready" for contact or movement far better. Temple index allows for movement in some tighter spots.

The verbal commands aren't something I work too often without a verbal opponent so it was a little weird but an empty home helped me be authoritative without the wife looking at me strangely.

All in all, for the 117th DotW it added something I will continue to work on.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List