Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Full Size Revolver"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    This is just a great excuse to post my fave 4" medium frame CCW .357: a factory round-butt Model 19-5, possibly a State Department contract overrun.

Name:  19-51988.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  77.0 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

You have the coolest guns.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Late to the party...

I'd either take Lost River's advice above, or skip all the above mentioned mid bores and go to a 44 or 45.

A 5" barrel is exactly as easy for me to carry/conceal/draw as a 4", and shoots much easier for me (more accurate and more powerful). You mentioned hunting, and if you mean deer when you say midsize critters, then I would much prefer the bigger bores. A 44 magnum or special can be loaded up or down for anything you want to do, even with factory ammo if you don't reload. (S&W 24/624/29/629 - tons of configurations)

A 45 Colt can also be factory loaded up or down, and a few will allow for ACP to be shot as well. (Redhawk, Blackhawk - though it sounds like you really want a DA revolver)

Without spending a lot of money, a 4" 29/629 would be my choice, though if the 45colt/45acp Redhawks start working better, that would be a very strong contender for me.
    I'd like to echo this. Also, perhaps, add the current S&W 69 (or 66 if you really want a .357).

S&W 686

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's ok to just say you were wrong instead of lashing out.
    I can't remember the last time I shot a DA revolver in single action. I don't have training wheels on my bicycle any more either.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I can't remember the last time I shot a DA revolver in single action. I don't have training wheels on my bicycle any more either.
    Neat. That doesn't negate anything I said about flexibility. The fact you don't care about the flexibility doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Let's go back and look at what you said and what I said before you decided it was a personal attack.

The Redhawk action lends itself really well to being cleaned up and can result in some shockingly good triggers. It shares parts compatibility with the GP100, so the Wilson Combat spring kit will go a long way towards helping the action. Then just polish up some key areas and all of a sudden you've got an 8 pound DA pull that rolls right through.
    Ok, you've already admitted that was wrong. The Redhawk has it's own action.

While I was wrong about the parts compatibility (which happens, oh well) you're dead wrong about it being inferior to the Super Redhawk in terms of feel and flexibility of pull weights. I guess I should probably tell Hamilton Bowen to stop making awesome custom Redhawks because they're inferior to the SRH.
    Already addressed. Even Bowen states they are not as flexible in terms of pull weights. So, you're wrong. Feel is subjective, but I don't see many people asking for a hump in the middle of their trigger pull.

Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    I thought it was 8 lbs. Right. If you think 10 lbs is good enough, great. That doesn't change that it is less flexible than a GP100 or S&W, which can get below that and still have reliable ignition.

If you shoot in SA or not is irrelevant to which revolver has more options for pull weight. If you prefer a 15 lb trigger and shoot walnuts at 200y with it, that doesn't change which revolver has more options for pull weight.

Okay.

Caleb, I love you like a brother, but you're wrong about it being okay to shoot Ruger revolvers. It's bad and wrong, just like shooting Colts, and you should feel bad. (People tell me it's also wrong to shoot foreign revolvers, but they're just funnin' me because there's no such thing as foreign revolvers.)

However you're absolutely right about not shooting DA revolvers in single action. I paid extra for a DA trigger and only some kind of un-'Murrican commie symp pinko would shoot the gun in SA mode.

(This post may be read with whatever degree of tongue in cheek it takes to get a chuckle. )
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-10-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Caleb, I love you like a brother, but you're wrong about it being okay to shoot Ruger revolvers. It's bad and wrong, just like shooting Colts, and you should feel bad. (People tell me it's also wrong to shoot foreign revolvers, but they're just funnin' me because there's no such thing as foreign revolvers.)

However you're absolutely right about not shooting DA revolvers in single action. I paid extra for a DA trigger and only some kind of un-'Murrican commie symp pinko would shoot the gun in SA mode.

(This post may be read with whatever degree of tongue in cheek it takes to get a chuckle. )

I sense someone who thumb-cocks their DA revolvers. NTTAWWT!

User Tag List