Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Full Size Revolver"

You won't go wrong with a 686ssr or a match champion. That said, Since ccw use is a long shot, focus on hunting and fun. I'd look for a 4 inch model 28 or 27. They're tough enough for whatever loads you want for hunting, and the extra weight soaks up the already mild recoil of 38s. They're great fun with wadcutters, and have way more cool points than newer guns.

Love my 4" 686 dont think I would ever ccw with it but as a night stand or woods gun sure. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 386 either but they seem to be fare and few between. Would also consider the r8 but it would almost definately rule out ccw that cylinder is chuncky but 8 rounds of 357 sounds like fun to me. At least for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Trex View Post
    Looking for a "full size" revolver for my collection that could serve the following roles: 1) Hunting up to medium-size animals (.357 mag should be sufficient)... 2) backup CCW piece should my Glock 19 and backup G19 and backup backup G19 be unavailable... 3) Training/familiarity for myself and others on revolver use (using lighter loads such as .38sp)... 4) Something to pair with a lever action rifle of identical caliber should the desire arise.

I think a 4" .357 mag is ideal because 4" is minimum barrel length for hunting whereas anything bigger than 4" is too large to CCW. I don't envision myself ever CCWing with it, or ever using it in a survival role, but currently owning no full-size revolvers (only a .38 snubbie), it seems like having a 4" .357mag could be useful and fun. Price and weight are non-issues. Durability and accuracy are most important. Heavy and expensive are fine. I'm thinking one of the "vintage" S&W pre-lock models would work for my needs. Any suggestions appreciated.
    I started out in 1992 with a 4" 686 in my duty holster. Sometimes I would carry that off duty.
    We were eventually issued SIG P229s in 1994 and I got rid of my 686.

Around 19 years ago I got a 4" GP100. That GP100 in a Kramer vertical scabbard has served as my off duty piece when I didn't have anything else and couldn't carry my issued piece (like on vacation). It has remained while a whole pile of Glocks, SIGs, HKs, S&Ws and other guns have come and gone. I have a 3" WC GP100 now since 2013 also but honestly, I think I prefer the 4" GP100.

I tried a S&W M&P R8. That thing was junk right out of the box. S&W wouldn't even issue an RMA to look at it. The shop where I bought it tried to make it right but it would still only fire 50% of the time at best. I still want one though because I think they are sick.

Thanks for the input to all.

686 is a fine choice. One thing I did was to upgrade the sights. I utterly despised the red ramp front sight. In my experience, it was hard to pick up at speed and I found the red ramp insert to be blurry with little defined outline, making it hard to focus during slow fire as well.

For the front sight, I went with a Dawson precision tritium front w/ white ring. Rear sights were the fixed cylinder & slide extreme duty plain black series. If it's for hunting, you may want an adjustable rear. But I have found my fixed rears to shoot well with a variety of bullet weights.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....r-sights/page2

I suggest a S&W M686 Pro-Series. It is a 7-shot 357 magnum, cut for moon clips, with a PC profile 5" bbl. and an easily removable front sight (held in by spring loaded plunger). I have one and it is no heavier than my 4" 686. I like it. I also like the matching M986 9mm.

Personally if going with a .357, I would go with an N Frame 5" like a Model 27.

The balance and shootabilty of 5" N Frames is beyond compare in my book.

New gun a 4" 686, used a 19 or a 66. I thought everyone knew this.

They're actually making the 66 again, and this time with a full "shoot all magnums" forcing cone. I've got one, and they're pretty nice. I'm surprised there's no thread on this here.

I have a 686-2 that I really like. Red ramp front, white outline rear sights. Not wild about the sights, usable but I'm going to get something different as it is my competition revolver. Minor action job with one of the newer cylinder releases makes it easier to shoot and reload. Pretty sure I would have been happy with the GP100 too. Lots of guys around here use them in competition.
    I have a 3" K frame Smith that I've shot a handful of magnums through. I just love the fireball and heat blast! With a good solid grip and a set of unexciting goodyears for stocks it isn't uncontrollable.

User Tag List