Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Full Size Revolver"

Recommendation on Full Size Revolver"

Looking for a "full size" revolver for my collection that could serve the following roles: 1) Hunting up to medium-size animals (.357 mag should be sufficient)... 2) backup CCW piece should my Glock 19 and backup G19 and backup backup G19 be unavailable... 3) Training/familiarity for myself and others on revolver use (using lighter loads such as .38sp)... 4) Something to pair with a lever action rifle of identical caliber should the desire arise.

I think a 4" .357 mag is ideal because 4" is minimum barrel length for hunting whereas anything bigger than 4" is too large to CCW. I don't envision myself ever CCWing with it, or ever using it in a survival role, but currently owning no full-size revolvers (only a .38 snubbie), it seems like having a 4" .357mag could be useful and fun. Price and weight are non-issues. Durability and accuracy are most important. Heavy and expensive are fine. I'm thinking one of the "vintage" S&W pre-lock models would work for my needs. Any suggestions appreciated.

S&W 686SSR or Ruger Match Champion.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Find either an older or a new S&W Model 27 in 4" configuration, then change the grips (stocks) to suit your needs.

For shooting lots of magnum rounds a Ruger GP100 is a good choice. Most (not all) of these have a full underlug beneath the barrel which provides a slightly muzzle-heavy balance. This can be a benefit when shooting the more powerful rounds. A S&W 586 or 686 is an alternative, not quite as strong but typically strong enough for long years of service. Some say the triggers on S&W revolvers can be tuned more effectively than those on Rugers. I tend to agree, assuming a skilled gunsmith.

The S&W K Frame revolvers of the past reportedly did not hold up to a lot of magnum shooting, which is one reason the 586/686 (L Frame) guns were developed. However, the K Frame guns are nice for carrying and qualify as full size revolvers. A Model 19 (blued) or Model 66 (stainless) is equipped with adjustable sights, perhaps better than fixed sights for hunting. The current Model 66 has been redesigned for better strength and durability, it should hold up to use of magnum rounds better than the older guns.

In some locales hunting deer is not permitted with a barrel length less than 6" so check your local/state regulations. Finally, don't assume the ammunition you select as the best choice for a revolver is also the best choice for a lever action rifle/carbine. The lever guns typically do better with the heavier bullets, and I would suggest jacketed soft points or hard cast bullets for that use. Hollow points may come apart due to the increased velocity. My .357 Magnum lever guns liked 158 grain bullets the best. The 158 grain bullets also tend to work nicely in revolvers, but different bullet designs such as quality hollow points may be better for defensive use.

A 4" .357 is almost never wrong, but its the cylinder that makes concealed carry a challenge. A 6" gun is not that much harder to hide than a 4" gun if the frames are the same size. Going from a 4" M-19 from a 4" M-28 to is a much bigger step than going to a 6" M-19.

Any S&W with adjustable sights is a good call. Based on your needs, I'd look at an L-frame.

Okie John

Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Either version. Hamilton Bowen sells his Rough Country rear sight as a replacement for the adjustable rear. Novak was in the process of patenting their adjustable Novak to fit the sight they put on the Ruger guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I *love* my Match Champion.

I'm about to love the new Redhawk in 45ACP/.45 Colt as well. That'd be a really decent piece for what you want, too. .45 Colt can be loaded up to take about anything you're going to hunt with a handgun.

Only knock against Ruger that comes to mind is the fact that if anything goes wrong, it's a trip back to the factory. Not sure if the policy has changed, but if you have any aftermarket work done (trigger job) it will be restored to factory config. The rimfire shooters I knew used to loathe having to send their Mark 2s back because it meant having to remove a couple hundred bucks worth of Volquartzen parts before shipping it off. Unless it's changed the situation is: No parts available. Factory service only. No custom work on return.

In contrast, Midway and Brownells are awash in MIM parts for modern S&Ws, and still have most things you might need for the older guns.

If that doesn't phase you, Ruger's a good choice. The last 2 S&Ws I bought slicked up good, but needed work. The Ruger Match Champion I tried seemed good out of the box. The only thing I would have changed was springs. Couple hundred bucks cheaper, too.

Don't know if Ruger is still servicing them, but if so the Six series grandpa used for a duty gun was super nice. There's a few on gunbroker for not much money. And they're closer to K-frame size for easier carry.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...uger+speed+six

edit: I think the Ruger GPs have a spring loaded setup for the front sight? Don't remember for sure. On most S&Ws this is a gunsmith affair (pinned or brazed). Some guns (686SSR, 627PRO, etc) have the classic/DX sight setup that doesn't require tools, but most don't. Point to the Ruger since changing the front sight is kind of a big deal for most folks.
    Last edited by jh9; 07-02-2015 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    S&W 686SSR or Ruger Match Champion.
    That's my vote.

re 4" vs 6" - I carried a 6" Model 57 IWB for about a year as a young man when that's all I had. It can be done but it was a LOT of work. 4" is way more flexible. The cylinder may be the same but 6" is a lot of barrel to account for.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Only knock against Ruger that comes to mind is the fact that if anything goes wrong, it's a trip back to the factory. Not sure if the policy has changed, but if you have any aftermarket work done (trigger job) it will be restored to factory config. The rimfire shooters I knew used to loathe having to send their Mark 2s back because it meant having to remove a couple hundred bucks worth of Volquartzen parts before shipping it off. Unless it's changed the situation is: No parts available. Factory service only. No custom work on return.

In contrast, Midway and Brownells are awash in MIM parts for modern S&Ws, and still have most things you might need for the older guns.

If that doesn't phase you, Ruger's a good choice. The last 2 S&Ws I bought slicked up good, but needed work. The Ruger Match Champion I tried seemed good out of the box. The only thing I would have changed was springs. Couple hundred bucks cheaper, too.

Don't know if Ruger is still servicing them, but if so the Six series grandpa used for a duty gun was super nice. There's a few on gunbroker for not much money. And they're closer to K-frame size for easier carry.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...uger+speed+six

edit: I think the Ruger GPs have a spring loaded setup for the front sight? Don't remember for sure. On most S&Ws this is a gunsmith affair (pinned or brazed). Some guns (686SSR, 627PRO, etc) have the classic/DX sight setup that doesn't require tools, but most don't. Point to the Ruger since changing the front sight is kind of a big deal for most folks.
    Ruger no longer services the security six / speed six/ service six. Parts are available on the secondary market (gun parts corp) but if something breaks Ruger will take the broken gun in trade towards a GP 100. Been down that road once before.

I have a 4" GP 100, and I love it to death, but I don't have anything approaching a use for it. It's big and heavy as hell for carrying, and minimum barrel length for hunting in Ohio is 6"

User Tag List