Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation on Full Size Revolver"

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm a Ruger fan and I wouldn't buy another Redhawk for a nickel. Single action is ok but double action has a hump in the middle and is heavy. Unless you plan to reload heavy, the S&W 29 or 629 beats the Redhawk hands down.
    The Redhawk action lends itself really well to being cleaned up and can result in some shockingly good triggers. It shares parts compatibility with the GP100, so the Wilson Combat spring kit will go a long way towards helping the action. Then just polish up some key areas and all of a sudden you've got an 8 pound DA pull that rolls right through.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The Redhawk action lends itself really well to being cleaned up and can result in some shockingly good triggers. It shares parts compatibility with the GP100, so the Wilson Combat spring kit will go a long way towards helping the action. Then just polish up some key areas and all of a sudden you've got an 8 pound DA pull that rolls right through.
    Negative. That's the Super Redhawk. The Redhawk is it's own beast and is inferior to the GP100 and SRH in terms of feel and in flexibility of pull weights.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2013/...he-difference/

Negative. That's the Super Redhawk. The Redhawk is it's own beast and is inferior to the GP100 and SRH in terms of feel and in flexibility of pull weights.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2013/...he-difference/
    While I was wrong about the parts compatibility (which happens, oh well) you're dead wrong about it being inferior to the Super Redhawk in terms of feel and flexibility of pull weights. I guess I should probably tell Hamilton Bowen to stop making awesome custom Redhawks because they're inferior to the SRH.

While I was wrong about the parts compatibility (which happens, oh well) you're dead wrong about it being inferior to the Super Redhawk in terms of feel and flexibility of pull weights. I guess I should probably tell Hamilton Bowen to stop making awesome custom Redhawks because they're inferior to the SRH.
    From an e-mail from Hamilton Bowen on 11/04/15 when I contacted him about getting a decent trigger in my Redhawk:

Redhawks are wonderful guns but they are plagued with ignition problems, especially with the shorter transfer bars used in the last decade or so. If you have installed some sort of reduced-pressure mainspring, best to throw it in the dumpster and start with a fresh factory part. We do not used low-pressure springs under any circumstances. DA pull weight will be a bit heavier than a nice S&W but, tuned well, most run as smoothly. We can usually get an acceptable SA pull weight of around 3.5—4 lbs. in most guns. Worst-case scenario, we do have extra-strong mainsprings.
    So, ignition problems that the SRH doesn't have. Cannot reduce pull weights to the levels of S&W or SRH and still have reliable ignition. That, to me, equates to both an inferior design and less flexibility.

Since Caleb mentioned Bowen customs, let's look into that a bit more.

The dual-action spring system, while ingenious, is often part of the problem since, to reduce felt single-action pull weights, owners have employed reduced-pressure mainsprings instead of tuning the sear surfaces for improved trigger action and weight. Using any sort of reduced mainspring in a standard Redhawk is inviting trouble. The Super Redhawk, on the other hand, has a separate trigger return spring which can be changed for a reduced-pressure part without jeopardizing actual ignition power through the hammer. For this reason, the Super Redhawks are viewed as more dependable and easier to tune. Properly handled, standard Redhawks will still tune very well but one should be mindful of the potential for ignition trouble and be especially careful.
    Source: http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news.html scroll down to DECEMBER 11, 2011, there's quite a bit more information there.

Like I said originally, if you do not plan to shoot heavy loads the S&W 29/629 is probably the way to fly for a .44. If you do want to shoot heavy loads the Super Redhawk is probably the way to fly. If you want the middle ground of a lighter revolver still capable of heavy loads, the Redhawk probably fits the bill. Just be aware that if you want reliable ignition with a wide variety of ammunition you need to factor in the cost of custom parts and/or labor to get it there. The spring set up also will not let you get to S&W pull weights, and the break is not as clean as the S&W or the Super Redhawk. The pull with S&W or SRH builds steadily and then breaks. The Redhawk geometry makes the trigger weight build, peak, then lighten again before it breaks. I love the aesthetics of the Redhawk and am going to sink the money into it to make it as good as Bowen can get it, but customization should be optional, not something that's mandatory for reliability.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 12-01-2015 at 09:04 PM.

A bit late to see this, but FWIW, I love the classic 4" S&W Model 19, and the 4" to 6" GP100. My 19 is a 19-5, which is post-Bangor Punta, but pre MIM/keyhole, which I acquired pre-owned a few years ago. (I think it is Lear-Siegler era.) I had previously owned Models 19 and 66 that had MIM parts, but were pre-keyhole, and a pinned-&-recessed 19, but sadly, sold or traded these when I started my serious 1911 buying in the late Nineties.

My favorite GP100 is 4", stainless steel, with a lugged barrel, that I bought in the early Nineties, when I finally admitted to myself that N-frames were too large for my hands. I started carrying it on duty in June 1993, as an interim weapon between selling my P220 with a heel-clip mag release, and acquiring a P220 with the push-button mag release. Well, two weeks into carrying the GP100, I used it to put a devastatingly-effective hole through an opponent, and this interim gun became my long-term duty sixgun, until I switched to lighter-weight K-frames about 1995. (I never bought the "American" P220, but did start using autoloading duty pistols in 1997.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-03-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    A bit late to see this, but FWIW, I love the classic 4" S&W Model 19, and the 4" to 6" GP100. My 19 is a 19-5, which is post-Bangor Punta, but pre MIM/keyhole, which I acquired pre-owned a few years ago. (I think it is Lear-Siegler era.) I had previously owned Models 19 and 66 that had MIM parts, but were pre-keyhole, and a pinned-&-recessed 19, but sadly, sold or traded these when I started my serious 1911 buying in the late Nineties.

My favorite GP100 is 4", stainless steel, with a lugged barrel, that I bought in the early Nineties, when I finally admitted to myself that N-frames were too large for my hands. I started carrying it on duty in June 1993, as an interim weapon between selling my P220 with a heel-clip mag release, and acquiring a P220 with the push-button mag release. Well, two weeks into carrying the GP100, I used it to put a devastatingly-effective hole through an opponent, and this interim gun became my long-term duty sixgun, until I switched to lighter-weight K-frames about 1995. (I never bought the "American" P220, but did start using autoloading duty pistols in 1997.)
    You like the GP100 trigger reach and an N-Frame is too much? Play with a Redhawk. I get more nose picker on a RH trigger than Gen3 G19.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Since Caleb mentioned Bowen customs, let's look into that a bit more.

Source: http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news.html scroll down to DECEMBER 11, 2011, there's quite a bit more information there.

Like I said originally, if you do not plan to shoot heavy loads the S&W 29/629 is probably the way to fly for a .44. If you do want to shoot heavy loads the Super Redhawk is probably the way to fly. If you want the middle ground of a lighter revolver still capable of heavy loads, the Redhawk probably fits the bill. Just be aware that if you want reliable ignition with a wide variety of ammunition you need to factor in the cost of custom parts and/or labor to get it there. The spring set up also will not let you get to S&W pull weights, and the break is not as clean as the S&W or the Super Redhawk. The pull with S&W or SRH builds steadily and then breaks. The Redhawk geometry makes the trigger weight build, peak, then lighten again before it breaks. I love the aesthetics of the Redhawk and am going to sink the money into it to make it as good as Bowen can get it, but customization should be optional, not something that's mandatory for reliability.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.

It's ok to just say you were wrong instead of lashing out.

My new sig line.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List