Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective Special

You're not helping me resist the siren song of the 4" Police Positive at the FLGS.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

After a bit of a wait, something very special arrived to get a project rolling. My family has been in the Canal Zone in Panama from the very begingings. This include several Canal Zone cops and I have my uncle's model 19 duty revolver. I was tree the night Carter (burn in hell) gave the Canal away. When I saw that Craig Spegal had Panamanian Cocobolo I tried to have him make some grips for an n frame. Unfortunately, he stopped taking orders. A friend was still on the list for some Detective Special grips and was nice enough to have Craig add a set for me in Panamanian Cocobolo. The results are stunning. They are simply amazing combined with the typical Colt Blueing. My goal for this gun is a shortened hammer and gold line on the front sight. I am on the list at Matt Del Fatti for leather some day. Although I may not wait and try to get JRC to do something special with some Central American Caimen to carry the theme. Enjoy, because I love this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-13-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Nice!!
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Damn DB, those are… well, words fail me.

Ya know, I asked you this before, but I guess you didn't see it, so I'll ask again…

What, exactly, does that Del Fatti guy offer that Rosen, Kramer, Sparks, et. al., cannot? I have examined a few De Fatti rigs, and they are indeed top shelf; but in my estimation, simply not leagues above the other top-end guys, and certainly not worth the wait nor added cost. So why are YOU interested in his stuff?

And I'll bet JR can indeed do that puppy proud. Caiman, eh? Yup, that certainly fits…

As usual, very nice!

That would be the ne plus ultra of BBQ guns. Congrats on the firearm, and the grips. The grain on them is stunning.

Del fatti made his name with the P7 folks. The P7 is what I judge holster makers by. They are hard to do right. Like many things, Del Fatti's stuff is a case of supply and demand. Same with our pal John Ralston at 5 shot. Many of these folks are exceptional, when folks figure it out, especially with true one maker shops, supply and demand. I have discovered many good makers who do great work, eventually we go from getting all sorts of leather in a timely manner to multi year waits, and I start looking for new suppliers.
    Much of this becomes sort of a status thing as well. The Colt I just had done that is going to be an article gun and is "Heirloom status" is sitting in a set of Cape Buffalo lether done by John Ralston as his display leather for SHOT a couple years ago. Was it worth $800.....I don't know, but I do know you are not likely to ever see another set and it is certainly fitting for a $5000 pistol. Is it more caple than say my MARS guns in Sparks leather....probably not. What is funny is that my old working set up that I used on a lot of executive and high threat protection details of the MARS Thug that was in Surefire's Combat Tactics magazine when nobody ever heard of Steve Morrison and the one off leather Tony Kanaly made me from Sparks was a quality working rig. That gun and leather is out of the rotation because it is now worth multiple times what I paid for now that Steve is back 120 guns in his shop and Tony Kanaly is not doing much one off stuff. Same with my Larry Vickers hard fit retro pistol......not likely "worth" what I could sell it for, but go try and find another one or have Larry build one....good luck, and that one is in Real honest to goodness handmade by Milt Sparks leather. Much of this comes down to what I call pride of ownership. People can poo poo that, but life is short and some things are special just to have.
    If I ever win the lottery, purchase number one will be a 1970 Hemi Superbird, and number two will be a 45/70 Colt Bulldog Gatling gun. A quarter million dollar car and a $50,000 gun......that are not as "good as" a new top of the line Vette or a M4 at this point, but that is not the point.
    At some point, my pride and joy JRC gator and horsehide rig will not be replaceable because JR will have a multi year wait, or like Sparks, Kramer or Rosen........JR won't be the one making it.
    Supply and demand is just a funny thing. There was a time when I likely owned more custom Emerson knives than anyone in the country. I had 67 custom Emerson's that I bought in the era when Ernie was discounting left over knives at the end of show and he needed to pay for his table and expenses. Now I have a less impressive number, because I sold about 50 of them....because my wife and I really wanted a $100,000 power boat. As far as worth....wish I kept the knives,but it is an example of what can happen. What is amazing is the boat has lost a third of its price, and costs me a fortune to indoor store it, and the those same knives today would bring a close to double what I got for them when I sold them. Its crazy and doesn't make sense....but its simply the markets at work.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 09-13-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

D,

you just convinced me to dress up a pristine DS I have sitting int he safe. That gun was a wedding present to my 1st wife. It needs some custom stocks and fine leather, just because.

Beautiful revolver, thanks for sharing!

K
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-13-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Damn Darryl that's nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Much of this comes down to what I call pride of ownership. People can poo poo that, but life is short and some things are special just to have.
    Okay, I figured it was something like that. I understand completely. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Those stocks are indeed breath-taking. If you hadn't mentioned the maker, I would have said they were done by John Hurst; another artist no longer making stuff for us.

User Tag List