Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective Special

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I can't believe they still make them.
    Neither me.

Now… if only we could have a reliable source for the Tyler T-Grip… made the way the old man made them. The newer ones are just not as good, IMO.

Not a DS, but a Cobra.
    Unfortunately whoever did the refinish screwed it up, and the first (and last) time I shot it the cylinder started peeling, into my hand. As you can see he also somehow missed the cylinder crane and release.
    Fortunately, I didn't pay for it. The guy who had my gunsmith buddy send it off passed away, he couldn't ever get anyone to claim it, and gave it to me.
    Really want to get it redone, just haven't found the motivation.

Here is my daughter's.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    They are great for what they are. Easier to shoot than a J frame and an extra round without the size of a K frame. They were great for what the name says....plainclothes daily carried working gun. The Cobra and Agent are great due to the weight as carry a lot shoot a little concealment guns. I recently got a couple of Detective Specials. I late model blue that is flat gorgeous and I am looking forward to getting some beautiful Hogue grips on it (getting the alignment pin out of the frame has proven to be near impossible). I also got a 1960 Nickel. In that era, they were the Glock 26 of their time.
    This^

I have a Detective Special I bought my wife as a wedding present in 1982. I wouldn't consider one as a hard use training gun, but they excel as described above. I wouldn't feel unarmed with one either.

There are folks who can't (or don't want to) work a slide.

Here's my wife's:

Before I bought it for her recently I called Colt about service, and they were at the time willing to work on the DS. They had no parts for the Police Positive but were willing to try to time it if it needed it. That tells me they aren't totally obsolescent, yet.

The Grashorn grips are just for pretty, but that Tyler T-Grip really makes nice to shoot.

FWIW, Tamara likes the idea of a short-barreled revolver - there's less leverage for anyone trying to grab it.
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 07-02-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Wrong pic

Jaywalker...anytime you want to trade that in on a modern polymer pistol and get rid of that antiquated old heavy thing with stocks like a caveman would us, I want to be the first call. I love that gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

And if Nyeti doesn't answer his phone, I will...

That is one nice gun.

The first Gen one I had came in trade from a Bexar County deputy. It had the most charming big dent in the trigger guard. My imagination ran wild.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I would like to find a 3" DS at a reasonable price. But since Colt always seems to be on the verge of going out of business, finding a good deal on a potential collectible safe queen probably isn't going to happen. Besides, that's Nyeti's wheelhouse.
    Mechanically, this one was 100% when I got it but much of the original bluing was gone from being carried everyday for a number of years. Colt has been out of the in-house refinishing business for some time now and I wanted something more durable than blue anyway.

If I had it to do over, I'd have converted this one to 3" before getting it HC plated. I think Numrich still has barrels for less than a hundred dollars.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Onionsanddragons

I'm not a expert I just used to have a modest colt collection.

To check the timing on an old da colt cock the hammer real slow (I mean ssslllooowww) to see if the hand or paw carries up or pushes the cylinder up till the bolt stop clicks into its notch on the cylinder. If the hand or paw is not short the bolt will click in the cylinder notch. Colt uses the hand to push the crane tight against the frame at firing so even if the hand does not carry up to the bolt stop pressing the trigger pushes the cylinder the rest of the way. On really worn guns (really short hands) the gun may fire without the cylinder and barrel in line. Fast double action trigger work momentum carries the cylinder to the bolt notch. A hand that is not too short can be stretched with common tools (hammer and vise) but parts are hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List