Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective Special

Colt Detective Special

I found a super clean 3rd gen blued Colt Detective Special (1972 mfg.) for a really nice price.
    Appears to have been a sock drawer gun.
    What's the scoop on these?
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

J frame size and k frame capacity - what's not to like?

Research whether +p is ok for that model and enjoy shooting it.

You'd better pick it up before Nyeti swoops in and buys it from under you!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

IIRC Tom Givens is very fond of them. After reading the post below mine, maybe Tom favors the Cobra? I admit to not knowing the difference.
    Last edited by MVS; 07-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.

While the DS is small enough to slip in a pocket, at 26 oz unloaded it doesn't carry well in that mode if that's in the cards. However, that extra weight makes them at bit more comfortable to shoot over a J-Frame, especially with +P's.

It shouldn't be much of a concern for a gun that's spent its life in a sock drawer, but make sure the timing is OK - Colt revolvers are expensive to get worked on.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    IIRC Tom Givens is very fond of them. After reading the post below mine, maybe Tom favors the Cobra? I admit to not knowing the difference.
    Cobra is aluminum frame. Detective Special is steel.

Neither has been in production for a long while and parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find. In addition, smiths competent to resolve any issues that pop up are few & far between. I have a Cobra, but have retired it from daily duty for these reasons. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    The other Colt snub guns (Cobra, Agent, etc) had aluminum frames and weighed about 15 oz empty.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

They are great for what they are. Easier to shoot than a J frame and an extra round without the size of a K frame. They were great for what the name says....plainclothes daily carried working gun. The Cobra and Agent are great due to the weight as carry a lot shoot a little concealment guns. I recently got a couple of Detective Specials. I late model blue that is flat gorgeous and I am looking forward to getting some beautiful Hogue grips on it (getting the alignment pin out of the frame has proven to be near impossible). I also got a 1960 Nickel. In that era, they were the Glock 26 of their time.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

You know those moments of epic stupidity? When I picked up the G43 that came in for me, there was a minty DS in the used case for 475 or something close. I think I mumbled something like "if it's still here when my next check comes in, I'd like this gun..."

It wasn't still there.

As much as I loathe using anything but cash for guns, I did not think that one through.

I've owned 3 over the years, one 1st gen and 2 second gen. Glorious actions. I loved them AIWB. I dry fired them DA too much me thinks as I knocked them all out of time by the 1000 round (live fire) mark. I would not shoot or dry fire one extensively. I was a slow learner to that lesson.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List