Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective Special

Site Supporter
    I pick up my cobra this week. It's very well worn, carried for years by a deputy in New Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a 3rd issue for $400 plus shipping I'm kicking around the idea of picking up. Won't be a heavy round count gun but I would shoot it. What should I look for or what questions should I ask. I have only seen pictures and there is some wear in the bluing and not original grips. It has Pachmayr grips.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I think I get the award for coolest Colt.

This gun belonged to my grandfather who carried it as a back up gun and Sunday pocket gun. Grand-dad killed a guy with it in 1971 in Pascagoula, MS.

The blueing got worn all around the frame and a trustee at the courthouse offered to "polish" it up for the Chief which he did. So the frame is basically polished bare metal. And yes that's a Colt hammer shroud. Massad Ayoob actually featured this gun in either an article or one of his books, I can't remember which.

Attachment 3566
    Craig,

Is it a DS? And I can't believe Tom Givens hasn't tried to snag that one from you!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Craig,

Is it a DS? And I can't believe Tom Givens hasn't tried to snag that one from you!
    I would think in Craig's area, selling a gun your grand pappy killed a mutt (likely a Yankee of some sort, even if from just a little north) with, is some sort of cultural sin. This is unlike commie areas where some liberal relative turns it in to the police dept. Because it is yucky to have in the house.

Note....one of the few times working the desk with a hundred dollar bill in your wallet is a good thing.....love gun hating relatives.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I would think in Craig's area, selling a gun your grand pappy killed a mutt (likely a Yankee of some sort, even if from just a little north) with, is some sort of cultural sin. This is unlike commie areas where some liberal relative turns it in to the police dept. Because it is yucky to have in the house.

Note....one of the few times working the desk with a hundred dollar bill in your wallet is a good thing.....love gun hating relatives.
    I loved those "widow woman" with the dead husband's guns that they wanted to "turn in to the police" deals.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Colt Detective Special

Wayne it's a Cobra. The grips had YEARS of rubber bands around them I had to scrape off.

Darryl anyone living north of I10 was a Yankee to my granddad![emoji38]
    Last edited by SouthNarc; 07-20-2015 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    We had a little old lady come in wanting to donate her recently deceased husbands gun collection to the agency. He had some RARE guns and honestly the collection was worth well into six figures. We did the right thing and got her hooked up with an honest gun/pawn guy who got her as much money as he could for the whole shebang. She walked away with a little less than 125K.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Wayne it's a Cobra. The grips had YEARS of rubber bands around them I had to scrape off.

Darryl anyone living north of I10 was a Yankee to my granddad![emoji38]
    Funny, my family in Texas uses I-20 as the standard.....they are a little more generous, but they needed to figure a way to get Texas A&M in and Dallas out.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I went ahead and bought the DS I mentioned above. I will report back once I have it in hand.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Buy it. You can make more money, but they won't make any more Detective Specials.
    That logic is why I bought a Model 17-3 last week.

User Tag List