Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are We Smart Enough for Civil Rights?

Are We Smart Enough for Civil Rights?

A local investigator called me for info regarding a handgun I sold last year. The circumstances of why can be distilled to "epic stupidity by a gun owner" and the investigator needed proof of the weapon's history to sort out the mess.So we come to the core question;

Have we as a society reached the point where we are collectively too stupid to exercise our civil rights?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

No more stupid than ever; it's just easier to get caught at it these days (speaking of our rights in aggregate).
    JMO.

Well, we have something now a days we didn't have twenty years ago (in mass use), the internet.

People think they can google to a wiki and be an expert in that topic without ever having to actually do what that topic is about - IE; every police anything and law anything - this is just one example.

The test I use is asking people (who bring this stuff up) how it actively applies to them. Specifically, next time you are talking to someone and they mention gay marriage or police brutality, ask them where in the Constitution, what case law or what specifically they are citing/basing their opinion on.

The stupidity is overwhelming.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Well, we have something now a days we didn't have twenty years ago (in mass use), the internet.

People think they can google to a wiki and be an expert in that topic without ever having to actually do what that topic is about - IE; every police anything and law anything - this is just one example.
    The test I use is asking people (who bring this stuff up) how it actively applies to them. Specifically, next time you are talking to someone and they mention gay marriage or police brutality, ask them where in the Constitution, what case law or what specifically they are citing/basing their opinion on.

QFT. The bane of this society. I ask someone if they have any strong opinions on how to rebuild an automatic transmission. They cock their head like a spaniel - "whaat?" Yet they have strong opinions on you name it subject of some pretty complex public policy like they were experts in the field.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Have we as a society reached the point where we are collectively too stupid to exercise our civil rights?
    I suppose the logically necessary answer to that question is that no matter how stupid we get, the people who would presumably restrict or control our exercise of our civil rights would presumably be as stupid and thus restricting them would make no sense.

You only need civil rights if you are trying to hide something from the collective.

You aren't trying to hide something from the collective, are you Taxpayer?

Because then your value to the collective would be diminished and you would need to be assisted and reintegrated for the betterment of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    No more stupid than ever.
    This. And a lot of these stupidity issues used to be self-correcting. But in today's nanny state, the emphasis on "safety at any cost" has prevented many of these folks from cashing in their Darwin Award; they would not have survived in an earlier day.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    So we come to the core question;

Were you sick the day they covered the Enlightenment in history class?

To ask that question sort of misses the point of rights... I mean, replace "stupid" with "wicked", and you're basically making a 400-year-old argument in favor of rule by Divine Right.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

Excellent.

Access to information itself (i.e., via the Internet) does not necessarily lead to the correct interpretation or application thereof. Thus, we find more and more glaring gaps in today's world between having information, knowledge, good judgment and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Were you sick the day they covered the Enlightenment in history class?

To ask that question sort of misses the point of rights... I mean, replace "stupid" with "wicked", and you're basically making a 400-year-old argument in favor of rule by Divine Right.
    Exercising individual rights also demands individual responsibility. That's a problem when the average citizen only sees the word " responsibility" in a Scrabble game.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Excellent.

Access to information itself (i.e., via the Internet) does not necessarily lead to the correct interpretation or application thereof. Thus, we find more and more glaring gaps in today's world between having information, knowledge, good judgment and wisdom.
    Information is just another resource.It takes work to apply the knowledge .Much like many things today most are comfortable letting someone else do the info processing for them.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List