Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on safety in crowds during the 4th of July

Thoughts on safety in crowds during the 4th of July

I know there are lots of people on the forum that are LE or generally aware of personal safety when in public so I thought I'd ask for some general advice.

I need to go out for fireworks on the 4th, so what are some things you would be generally aware of when you're going to a park-type setting with large crowds. Are there specific geographic features you guys key in on to either avoid or keep in mind in case things go wrong, etc? I was thinking walls near buildings and nearby access to streets leading away from the venue would be nice in case something happens, but is there anything else you'd recommend either as positives or negatives?

I always have an exit strategy, and where I park is a big part of any big event consideration. That aside, if you are a podcast sort of guy, you might enjoy this guy's site, especially:

http://modernselfprotection.com/2013...giving-crowds/

I have worked every large event for the last 5 years or so, repectively.

My suggestion is to find a wall and keep your back to that wall, gives you less to look for.

If you are in a wide open space, get to the highest point.

If it is a flat area, then you need to create a buffer between you and others. You can use other people/groups if needed as buffers to the larger mass. If you are with your family, keep them in front of you.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Fireworks are better from afar, with friends and a BBQ. It's not like you can see them THAT much better from a closer vantage point. Trusted environment with trusted friends is how we do it.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Fireworks are better from afar, with friends and a BBQ. It's not like you can see them THAT much better from a closer vantage point. Trusted environment with trusted friends is how we do it.
    Without knowing more about where you are and where you're going to view the fireworks, I'd go with this. Since I have to get up at oh-stupid-thirty to go to work on the 5th, I'll only be watching any fireworks if Mrs. Drang DVRs them. (And that assumes they're not canceled due to global warming.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

It's good to be concerned about safety in general, but I have to ask. Are you doing something out of the ordinary this year, hence the question or just in general. If you're planning on something new they the question you need to answer first is why; especially if it's causing you safety concerns. Is the juice worth the squeeze??

Try to figure out the traffic pattern at the locale and stay out of it. Don't put yourself in a spot where every one has to go by you to get a drink or take a leak. In order for anyone to approach you they need to be doing something not in the ordinary. Easier said than done though. High ground is also good. As stated before have an exit strategy. Have distinct and easy to find rally points at the venue and off site. Know security check point locations and where security folks are so you know where help is.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    It's good to be concerned about safety in general, but I have to ask. Are you doing something out of the ordinary this year, hence the question or just in general.
    There have been a lot of reports that adherents of the Religion Of Peace are planning on attacking Independence Day celebrations. I ass-you-me'd that that inspired scw2's concern.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    There have been a lot of reports that adherents of the Religion Of Peace are planning on attacking Independence Day celebrations. I ass-you-me'd that that inspired scw2's concern.
    A bit of that, but a buddy from Charlotte has told me that violence tends to coincide with the fireworks there this weekend, especially after people have been drinking. I would normally take Taz's route, but my SO is really set on going to fireworks. I think that the best solution in this case is to compromise and just find a reasonably safe location. At least I've convinced her not to wear flip flops in case we need to move fast...

Thanks for all the advice!

I don't care for crowds and generally avoid being in places where there are limited paths of egress. If I were attending fireworks or other holiday event in a park or park like setting I certainly would not situate myself in a densely occupied area. If someone is looking to inflict maximum carnage logic implies they would focus their efforts on most densely populated area.

Sit away from the crowd. Know all the exits as well as the other ways out. Have a plan in place. Evaluate your surroundings. Is there hard cover available near by? Where will the crowd surge to if startled? Assume a secondary attack will occur at the exit point or points. Continue to evaluate your surroundings stay vigilant.

If something doesn't look right trust your instincts. If your there with children they may want to sit with friends. You can't have your unit scattered. If something happens you will not reconstitute. Stay together.

Sorry, but avoidance is the best policy. You can still have fun away from any need to worry about any of this. In fact, the people you invite over will undoubtedly have more fun... Assuming they are "your people" to begin with.

FYI, that isn't a racial connotation, its a familiarity connotation.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

User Tag List