Page 13 of 185 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: EDC items photo thread

EDC items photo thread

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I used to. I've since become convinced they are not strong enough, but I'm happy to be convinced the other way.
    I was wondering about the strength issue.

I don't know anything useful about cuffs, but the weight difference was enough to to make me ask about usage.

ETA: Peerless makes aluminum cuffs that pass an NIJ certification. Not sure if that is of any value.

http://www.peerless.net/product/item...PDF_C_M730.pdf
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Any of you LE folks carry aluminum handcuffs? I handled a pair the other day and was shocked at how light they are.
    I have a pair of hinged aluminum cuffs I bought years ago for off duty carry back when I was Gung Ho like that. They are better than nothing but I would not trust them for daily use. Even real, steel Handcuffs are temporary restraints at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Curry View Post
    Curry - What holster is that? It looks super sleek. Thx.

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I grabbed a RCS pocket shield (moduloader) this weekend and am wearing it now. I "formed" it by wrapping a couple of rubber bands around it for a day or so. Worked good and I am liking it. I was unsure about using it in jeans pockets but it seems to do just fine there. I did wear some cargo shorts yesterday that it did not work well in. The pockets were not deep enough. I have my FourSevens light and my miniGriptilian clipped on it now in my left pocket. I need to order a Blue Force Gear 10-speed mag pouch and try a PPS mag on the pocket shield.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I have a pair of hinged aluminum cuffs I bought years ago for off duty carry back when I was Gung Ho like that. They are better than nothing but I would not trust them for daily use. Even real, steel Handcuffs are temporary restraints at best.
    When you go to the Texas Prison Museum and see the "wall of broken cuffs", it makes you realize steel is not that strong to some folks. The riveted chain swivel is the weak point on most cuffs. With enough leverage they break. I have seen folks demonstrate using a seat belt latch, a door knob strike plate and a drinking fountain to break cuffs in half. They can get out of zip ties using their shoe laces. Not all crooks are dumb...

I think the aluminum cuffs are neat, but I prefer steel as well.

We have issued "Tuff Tie" restraints for pocket carry and off duty, but they are one time use, difficult to apply under stress/fighting, and like all cuffs can be defeated. But a couple of sets slipped into a pocket are better than nothing. http://www.tufftie.com/
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    When you go to the Texas Prison Museum and see the "wall of broken cuffs", it makes you realize steel is not that strong to some folks. The riveted chain swivel is the weak point on most cuffs. With enough leverage they break. I have seen folks demonstrate using a seat belt latch, a door knob strike plate and a drinking fountain to break cuffs in half. They can get out of zip ties using their shoe laces. Not all crooks are dumb...

I think the aluminum cuffs are neat, but I prefer steel as well.

We have issued "Tuff Tie" restraints for pocket carry and off duty, but they are one time use, difficult to apply under stress/fighting, and like all cuffs can be defeated. But a couple of sets slipped into a pocket are better than nothing. http://www.tufftie.com/
    Used these a few times off duty, still have a pair but started putting safariland cuffs in various places. I watched a guy break those using his weight over a parking meter.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have an old pair of aluminum S&W cuffs (no doubt manufactured by Peerless) in an even older Null compact carrier, that I actually carried and used a few times when in plain clothes. But I would never use them on the road; the odds of dealing with a true bad-ass (who could break them) are much higher when in uniform, and as has been pointed out several times, handcuffs are temporary restraints at best.

They now live in my get-home bag; you just never know when a pair of cuffs will come in handy. I have my old steel ones readily accessible right here at home.

In regards to cuffs...stay away from these from Peerless. One of our rookies slapped them on someone today and the stud in the keyhole came out inside the key at the jail.

http://www.peerless.net/product/item...-handcuff.html

I've always found it a bit amusing that handcuff designs have remained relatively unchanged since the Civil War.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List