Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Data on Police Shootings this year so far

Data on Police Shootings this year so far

For the Forum's consideration, some interesting data on police-related shootings in 2015 so far. What I found interesting is the number of whites is almost twice the number of blacks.:

Female
    Unknown

WEAPON
    Deadly weapon
    Toy weapon
    Unarmed
    Unknown
    RACE
    White
    Black
    Hispanic
    Asian
    Unknown
    SIGNS OF MENTAL ILLNESS
    Yes
    No or unknown
    18 to 24
    25 to 34
    35 to 44
    45 to 54
    55 and up
    Unknown
    Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...tings/?hpid=z1
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    For the Forum's consideration, some interesting data on police-related shootings in 2015 so far. What I found interesting is the number of whites is almost twice the number of blacks.:

Female
    Unknown

WEAPON
    Deadly weapon
    Toy weapon
    Unarmed
    Unknown
    RACE
    White
    Black
    Hispanic
    Asian
    Unknown
    SIGNS OF MENTAL ILLNESS
    Yes
    No or unknown
    18 to 24
    25 to 34
    35 to 44
    45 to 54
    55 and up
    Unknown
    Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...tings/?hpid=z1
    Cody

Why are you surprised? There has been data available for quite awhile suggesting that this has been the case...but the race-baiting mouth pieces and media want everyone to think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Why are you surprised? There has been data available for quite awhile suggesting that this has been the case...but the race-baiting mouth pieces and media want everyone to think differently.
    I didn't say I was surprised...I said it was "interesting...." kinda like saying "notable."
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

They're just racist against middle aged white men.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Ummm, yeah, thats like, standard for the last 20 or so years, statistically.

Whites are killed by police at almost 2x the rate.

Dont drink the media koolaid.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Wow, imagine that, armed suspects shot outnumber unarmed suspects shot nearly 8:1.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Wow, imagine that, armed suspects shot outnumber unarmed suspects shot nearly 8:1.
    Hambo, I think numbers like these are far more effective at dispelling myths about law enforcement. The race numbers are trickier (potentially)...

First, most of the serious people on the other side (exclude the racial rabble-rousers) have never claimed that cops kill more blacks than whites. Instead they're arguing that blacks are killed disproportionately. And if blacks are 13% of the population and 50% of the deaths by police, then yes, technically that is disproportionate. However, I hate the "proportionality argument," because it's a huge straw man. Freakish anomalies aside, there's no direct correlation between racial proportions in general and the case-by-case legality of force. When I find myself in debates with well-meaning, rational folks (the rest I just ignore), I try to focus on the bounds of justifiable force instead of race. That's not to say that race is irrelevant, but as a strategy matter it's not the easiest way to bridge the divide. On the other hand, when I explain the Tueller study, for example, often times folks who were screaming "but all he had was a knife" tend to simmer down.

Second, it's not a contest to see which race gets killed the least. If ten thousand people die justifiably, then we have no problem (regardless of race). If one person dies without justification, then we do have a problem (regardless of race). Focusing too much on tick marks in the dead column I think gives the other side room to argue that police are willing to accept a certain number of deaths without question, just by virtue of some kind of quota system. So I'd caution everybody about presuming the debate is won just because more whites are killed than blacks. It could be perceived as a red herring, IMHO.

This is not to take away from Cody's post at all. Those numbers are crucial, and we should all understand them and be ready to educate people if it comes up. Just playing devil's advocate and throwing out a few more things to consider. Thanks, Cody, for the link. Great stuff.
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Tiffany, good post.

Shifting gears, speaking of shot people, we have an autopsy showing the NY prison escapee one was shot three times in the head, because he didn't comply quickly enough, and escapee two got shot twice in the back. I got no problem with the outcome, but just sayin', if there was body cam video, I bet it would be interesting to watch.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Tiffany, good post.

Shifting gears, speaking of shot people, we have an autopsy showing the NY prison escapee one was shot three times in the head, because he didn't comply quickly enough, and escapee two got shot twice in the back. I got no problem with the outcome, but just sayin', if there was body cam video, I bet it would be interesting to watch.
    I don't quite follow - could you elaborate on what you're implying might be shown with such?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    Hambo, I think numbers like these are far more effective at dispelling myths about law enforcement. The race numbers are trickier (potentially)...

First, most of the serious people on the other side (exclude the racial rabble-rousers) have never claimed that cops kill more blacks than whites. Instead they're arguing that blacks are killed disproportionately. And if blacks are 13% of the population and 50% of the deaths by police, then yes, technically that is disproportionate. However, I hate the "proportionality argument," because it's a huge straw man. Freakish anomalies aside, there's no direct correlation between racial proportions in general and the case-by-case legality of force. When I find myself in debates with well-meaning, rational folks (the rest I just ignore), I try to focus on the bounds of justifiable force instead of race. That's not to say that race is irrelevant, but as a strategy matter it's not the easiest way to bridge the divide. On the other hand, when I explain the Tueller study, for example, often times folks who were screaming "but all he had was a knife" tend to simmer down.

Second, it's not a contest to see which race gets killed the least. If ten thousand people die justifiably, then we have no problem (regardless of race). If one person dies without justification, then we do have a problem (regardless of race). Focusing too much on tick marks in the dead column I think gives the other side room to argue that police are willing to accept a certain number of deaths without question, just by virtue of some kind of quota system. So I'd caution everybody about presuming the debate is won just because more whites are killed than blacks. It could be perceived as a red herring, IMHO.

This is not to take away from Cody's post at all. Those numbers are crucial, and we should all understand them and be ready to educate people if it comes up. Just playing devil's advocate and throwing out a few more things to consider. Thanks, Cody, for the link. Great stuff.
    Great post, Tiffany. Raw numbers are...raw numbers. My post was sarcastic in that the media portrays cops as shooting lots of unarmed suspects when they really don't.

As you say, proportionality is a bad way of measuring anything, especially at the national level. It might have some meaning in cities or counties, but even then you would have to dig deeper than the numbers to really understand what's going on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List