Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 118: 25 yard El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    Agreed! And props on shooting it in those conditions, that's hardcore. You may have seen them already but Mr_White did an excellent job with a series of drills starting in Week 95 that really break down the components of going fast (grip, draw, trigger press, reloads)...adopting that approach of studying and practicing each element separately has been immensely helpful to me, IMO it is a very productive way to learn to do things right at speed.
    For some reason a couple weeks ago when I bought a new pistol (said g17) I was having a horrible time shooting it. Like, undoing everything I knew and it was like Fischer price my first gun! A fellow PF on here went above and beyond and offered for me to come shoot with him and see if he could help. He found my problem in the first 2 minutes of shooting. I had developed a nasty flinch/anticipation. So he sent me home to do some ball and dummy. I've been trying to do one ball and dummy a day and a little dry fire everyday. ALL my live fire has been dedicated slow fire focusing on perfect trigger and or ball and dummy.

With that said my accuracy has sky rocketed and I feel like a new shooter. What I didn't notice till today is that my accuracy has come at a price, TIME!! Hope to speed things up and look forward to participating in future DOTW's!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Looks like you did the math backwards; your hit factor is actually 42/12.90 = 3.2558, which seems pretty good to me for that distance, especially given that you shot it cold. When/if I get the chance to set this up and shoot it, I expect it to be quite challenging to find an acceptable balance between accuracy and speed.
    Ah, thanks. Yeah, I flipped them.

I really enjoyed this drill. I had planned to do it with my GP100 as well, but I didn't take my normal concealment garment (sports coat) and didn't have anything to hold the reload. Next week I think I'll run it again and also try the revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Ah, thanks. Yeah, I flipped them.

I really enjoyed this drill. I had planned to do it with my GP100 as well, but I didn't take my normal concealment garment (sports coat) and didn't have anything to hold the reload. Next week I think I'll run it again and also try the revolver.
    Yes this one has such an extreme accuracy component vs raw speed my 9mm Glocks might not run away with it. I'll try my 1911 also albeit my precision is better with Glocks these days. But wheelies too.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

First time making a video using movie maker...... but here's my runs!

Last edited by Tom_Jones; 07-29-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: embedded video
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Week 118: 25 yard El Presidente

Gun, holster, concealment used (if any)
    Targets used
    Hit factor (points divided by time)
    Anything you noticed during the drill
    All shot on IPSC target from OWB, no concealment

Guns: Gen 4 G17, Gen 3 RTF2 G19, Gen 4 G26, Sams 1911, S&W Model 10 4" pencil barrel

G17 50 points, time 11.95, HF 4.18

G19 48 points, time 10.18, HF 4.72
    G19 54 points, time 13.28, HF 4.07

G26 48 points, time 15.00, HF 3.20

1911 52 points, time 15.66, HF 3.32

4" Model 10 .38 52 points, time 20.64, HF 2.52

Observation - high hit factor and high points today was with the RTF2 G19. Visually it looked faster and flatter handling.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

CZ P-01, Comp Tac holster, no concealment
    IDPA targets
    42 points
    11.73 time
    HF 3.7168

Second run
    Gen 2 G-17 Comp-Tac no concealment
    IDPA targets
    44 points
    time 11.98
    HF 3.6727

In general I'm not fond of the IPSC hit factor method of scoring. Too much speed reward vs accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    In general I'm not fond of the IPSC hit factor method of scoring. Too much speed reward vs accuracy.
    I don't love hit factor scoring with the Major points scheme, but it's pretty good with Minor (accuracy intensive, without forgetting speed.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I don't love hit factor scoring with the Major points scheme, but it's pretty good with Minor (accuracy intensive, without forgetting speed.)
    Yeah the major gets an eye roll. I forgot to factor that scoring my devastator 230 gr FMJ.

I like total time and time added for C, D hits etc. It's the refuge of slower fuckers.

Beretta 92G, 124g re-manufactured ammo, AIWB Holster, Blackhawk mag pouches. IPSC classic targets.

44 points, 12.66 Sec, HF 3.48

I only shot two 25 yard El Prez's but ruined my first run with a malfunction (failure to feed, bad mag) and didn't record the time. I was pissed that I didn't just tap rack, instead I looked at it wondering what the hell was wrong for several seconds before I tap racked...(sigh).I think working on transitions so much helped me with this drill, may thanks to DOTW for that. I'd like to try this with an IPSC metric target, just to compare the accuracy to the IPSC classic targets I used.

User Tag List