Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roughening Your Palms

Some ideas…

-Rope climbing or pulling (Makeshift sled pull?)
    -Kettle bell work
    -Farmer walks
    -Deadlifting (barbell work in general)
    -A regular pull-up regiment. (I have a set of Metolious "Rock Rings" that get daily use and do a better "roughening" job than a normal pull-up bar. http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/rock_rings.html)

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    -A regular pull-up regiment. (I have a set of Metolious "Rock Rings" that get daily use and do a better "roughening" job than a normal pull-up bar. http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/rock_rings.html)
    These thingies are interesting. What's the benefit of using these over just trying to hang off the bar with fewer fingers? Do you just do pull-ups with them, or is there some whole workout regimen?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A CZ and VZ grips did it for me. YVK may have another suggestion.
    Those might be predicated on owning a 1911. I'm poor, and without couth, either of which leaves me with Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    In the 1980s we punched into 5 gallon buckets of dried beans and then soaked our hands in strong epsom salts.
    What constitutes a "strong epsom salt"?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    These thingies are interesting. What's the benefit of using these over just trying to hang off the bar with fewer fingers? Do you just do pull-ups with them, or is there some whole workout regimen?

Mostly ergonomics as far as I'm concerned. Being able to wrap fingers around a traditional pull-up bar allows one to hang on longer and more effectively work the larger muscles.

These are comfortized but are designed to mimic rock features more. They have good texture to avoid slipping off while allowing one to challenge their contact strength on the shaped holds. I mentioned them specifically b/c of their course texture and their ability to create calluses/hand roughening.

I'm not sure of any particular prescribed regiments using the rock rings specifically, but climbers use all sorts of torture contraptions to make strength gains. Hang boards (similar to the rings but with more features and fixed on a wall), campus rungs, systems boards, etc... Incidentally, many of these have the propensity to cause injury if used or applied incorrectly.

t

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Those might be predicated on owning a 1911. I'm poor, and without couth, either of which leaves me with Glocks.

What constitutes a "strong epsom salt"?
    A strong solution is as much and maybe a little more than will stay in solution. The protocol was to do whatever abraded your hands then soak them for a few minutes then let them air dry.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I don't have good suggestions if you're poor.

What are you, about 300 miles from Galveston? I have always suspected that saltwater fishing was the thing that made my hands so rough. I also used to have a sailboat. Plus I work with my hands a lot. Honestly, if your feet were shaped like hands, you could wear my hands for shoes.

Anyway that's not very helpful UNLESS: you take from my casual, jokey comment that the three things which really made my hands into their own leather gloves are salt exposure, rope handling, more salt exposure, and a combination of wood and metal working. And, I guess, some leather working. But mostly metal and wood, and salt, and rope.

But I assure you that the above is a recipe for hands that people will comment on after shaking hands. I recommend preparing some jokes like "Yeah, I'm a werewolf. I run on those."
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    So the gestating consensus seems to be: abrasion, salt, repeat. That's worth a try.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

As the skinn gets rougher/thicker, it may require more hand cream to keep from cracking.

User Tag List