Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The finest combat revolver ever made.

I've seen this danced around but not really stated. The twist rate on the S&W barrels is set for the 158 grain LSWC. My beat up model 12 will place 3 rounds in a sub 1" group at 20 yards. The faster twist rate on the Colt barrel provides more stabilization at slower speeds. It is theoretically possible to get the same accuracy from a S&W barrel by pushing the bullet faster. That's not desirable for the PPC game as it adds recoil.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Yes it works. My next door neighbor had one installed on his M19. Screwed right on, no drama.
    I fail to see how that was done.
    K barrel threads are .540" 36 tpi; L barrel threads are .562" 36 tpi. I mean that was the whole point of the L frame, beef up the barrel tenon.

I have seen a picture of an L barrel on a K frame. I assumed the shank was rethreaded to fit the smaller K receiver ring.
    The extractor rod tip latch did not line up, so a ball detent was set into the yoke.

They made a few full lug M14s. Most were 6" but they did a very few 4" for a distributor. My idea of a Nice revolver.

The old Police Marksman's Association used to run PPC matches before NRA took over. They once Ransom Rest tested .38 wadcutters in a K38 and a Python. The Smith was more accurate. Single samples don't tell a whole lot but it does show the 14 twist and tapered bore are not a guarantee of superior accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    The Smith was more accurate. Single samples don't tell a whole lot but it does show the 14 twist and tapered bore are not a guarantee of superior accuracy.
    True enough. But I also have done Ransom Rest testing with the two, and a lot depends on HOW the test is run. For instance, did the PMA tester use the same charge hole over and over? Was the Python perhaps out of time (a common condition for it when one has been shot a lot)? Had the Python's forcing cone been cleaned lately? Etc., etc.

Not trying to dispute you, but it was my experience that the Colt barrel just shoots wadcutters better; for the reason that Wheeler stated... the faster twist better stabilizes the slower target load.

But you're right; nothing is guaranteed. And I agree; the full-lug M-14 with a proper action tune would be the best possible DM revolver one could ask for (since a Smolt, Smython, whatever one calls it, would not be allowable; factory guns only in the Distinguished game).

Yes, a yoke detent would be the easy way to establish front lock-up on a mis-match barrel and frame. And I had forgotten that the thread diameter on the L frame is bigger...

Smiths' Performance Center built a lot of custom Model 19/66s with L frame barrels. They were called K-Comps.Would love to find one. Smith PC now builds the L Comp using an L frame and 7 shot. Also google a Smith and Wesson Model 67-5. A 38 Special with a full lug 3 inch barrel, didn't sell well and the 67-5 demands a premium on the market.

Like many things S&W they are ahead of the curve, market wise and by the time the public catches up they have discontinued the model because of poor sales.

Site Supporter
    Man that is one of the coolest looking wheelguns I've seen for a long time.

Thanks for sharing.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    "The finest combat revolver ever made."

That's the funniest-looking 3" fixed-sight RB/HB K-magnum I've ever seen.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

When Aim Surplus had MR73's, I had one in my cart @ 499... and didn't end up buying it. Ended up with a 4 inch Model 66 round butt instead.

The MR73's went unbelievably fast...
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-28-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    followed by a meat sin...
    "Meat sin" just made my night.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    "Meat sin" just made my night.
    When Wayne and I have a good day at the range it is rewarded. Having a choice between a left turn to "Babes chicken" or a right turn to Hard Eight BBQ out of the range makes for great motivation. Of course if we don't have a good day, even the burger places are pretty darn good.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    When Aim Surplus had MR73's, I had one in my cart @ 499... and didn't end up buying it.
    Ouch . . . that must still hurt.

User Tag List