Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The finest combat revolver ever made.

Absolutely beautiful sir!
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

What's the idea putting a Python barrel on a Smith?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    It looks dead sexy and is Cirillo approved?

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    It looks dead sexy and is Cirillo approved?
    I thought Cirillo was a proponent of putting Dan Wesson barrels on Smith revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    Either you're too young to remember when this was cool or you wasted your youth on something other than guns.

Great revolver, Nyeti.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

As I recall, the major advantage to the Python barrel was that the bore slightly tightened from breech to muzzle, which, along with it's intrinsic qualities provided for both exceptional accuracy and velocity/effective use of propellent charges. And yeah, plus the aesthetics...

Best, Jon

What about putting a 586 barrel on a M19 Smith? Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    I thought Cirillo was a proponent of putting Dan Wesson barrels on Smith revolvers?
    In Guns, Bullets and Gunfights, the mod was referred to as a "Smith & Dan" and seemed to be well regarded. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity to meet him when he taught classes below Scranton back in the day.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    As I recall, the major advantage to the Python barrel was that the bore slightly tightened from breech to muzzle, which, along with it's intrinsic qualities provided for both exceptional accuracy and velocity/effective use of propellent charges. And yeah, plus the aesthetics...

Best, Jon
    Intrinsic qualities? LOL, that's the fanciest name for a faster rifling twist I've ever heard.

Dunno about a "tightened bore", but the Colt barrel has a six left/1/14" tube, whereas standard S&W .38 barrels are 5 right/1/18.75".

IOW, the Colt barrel is spinning the bullet to the left (and faster), using an extra land and groove, than the S&W barrel which is spinning the bullet to the right.

Gyroscopic precession is gyroscopic precession; and while the guys who claim that left-hand rotation is superior to right hand have a bunch of physics to back up their position, I never could understand most of it and so remain neutral on that part. But there is no doubt that a stock Python barrel, properly installed on a K-38, produces better groups with wadcutters than the gun did with its OEM barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    What about putting a 586 barrel on a M19 Smith? Would that work?
    Why would you want to, other than "the look" of the full underlug? The gun certainly isn't going to gain any accuracy (all S&W revolver barrels are the same internally for a given caliber), and, thinking about it a bit, I suspect the front ejector rod locking lug would not line up properly, due to the difference in geometry between a K and an L frame.

Still, no doubt you can find somebody willing to try. As Ken Eversull told me long ago… "I'll put a barrel on a motor scooter if that is what the customer wants; and is willing to pay for."

User Tag List