Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The finest combat revolver ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    That is stunning. On a serious note, what specifically about it makes it the finest 'combat' revolver? I think I understand that the Python barrels were more accurate with wadcutters for PPC shooting but other than the vent rib barrel, how is it superior to a standard 4" 586? Or perhaps by finest you mean top quality, jewel like, etc, which it certainly is.
    adam
    The 586 is like a production version of what my gun is. Everything about the Smython I have is over the top. The way the barrel was fit and blended to the frame is the best I have ever seen on one of these guns, and it is not an easy thing to do right. When Wayne Dobbs declares the trigger the best he has ever felt,you know you have something special. Wayne, like me, just dropped his mouth open when he pressed it the first time. Jim Clark killed it with this one.. Now, with the grips that were made from scratch by Guy Hogue himself to perfectly conform to the hand, and the whole package becomes something uniquely special. It is a special unicorn and I will likely shoot it once with Wayne, and it will be preserved for what it is.
    Then there is the mass produced equivalent. Take a 686 SSR or a Ruger Match champion and you get the same type of capability without the finesse and artistry of a set of a true master craftsman's hands fitting and fine tuning every single part. I love shooting my 686SSR. It is my primary dry practice gun, and its MIM parts trigger just gets better with use. Is it as good as the Smython....not even close. Is it really good.....yep. Accuracy wise....the SSR is okay (I think the ammo I shoot is more of an issue than the gun) and I have been able to ring 10 inch steel at a hundred with it(which is also more of an issue of me and my eyes not being able to see much at a hundred). I have a feeling that Wayne will be destroying 8" steel at a hundred with the Smython.

In the big picture I look at this much like cars. A mass produced Ford high performance Mustang with a little "GT" or Shelby logo, that is a super reliable monster that runs on pump gas and is maintained by a kid who plugs it into a computer is a great ride. And even though it is likely faster, better handling, and more reliable than its original predecessor, it will never be an actual Carol Shelby built and tuned Mustang or Cobra. Ideally, your garage would have an exquisite 1967 GT500 "Super Snake" to ogle, and a 2014 Shelby GT500 Super Snake to actually drive on the weekends and a Raptor to daily drive. I can't afford a 1.3 million dollar 67 Super Snake.....but I got a Clark Smython
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I have several boxes of Federal match wadcutters just waiting to see how great that revolver shoots. It's going to be an epic day, followed by a meat sin...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I assume it's because the rate of twist on the Colt is a bit faster than that used by S&W, but my Pythons absolutely shined with factory or reloaded wadcutters.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 06-28-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I had a pair of those stocks on my first PPC gun. The frame on that Eversull-built gun was "birdsheaded".

You know how its fashionable these days to cut off the lower rear corner of a 1911 to enhance concealment? The birdshead job cut off the FRONT lower corner of a K grip frame, to enhance grip by keeping one's pinky in line with the other fingers. It worked, too.

Ken Eversull was personal friends with Guy Hogue, and the latter gentleman made those stocks for Ken's bull guns for several years before starting up his company. If I had only known all of that a few years earlier, I certainly would have kept those stocks when I traded the gun.

I regret many (most) of my former gun trades, swaps and sales. Getting rid of my Eversull bull gun with those stocks ranks up close to the top of stupid. If only I knew it was stupid when I did it...

And Darryl, beautiful gun!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Words cannot describe my envy.

Site Supporter
    Beautiful wheelgun.

Nyeti,
    What are your thoughts on the MR-73?

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Nyeti,
    What are your thoughts on the MR-73?
    I've never shot one. One of my best friends spent a bunch of time with GIGN back in the day and said that they were amazing with how well they shot them. It took them a very long time to give them up which says something about the shooters and the guns. They were apparently very durable and worked well. I would kid one if I ever found a good one at a good price.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

That pistol is simply amazing, but while I understand shooting wadcutters out of it, it was born to shoot 158 grain, full bore .357s. Or at least a few of them to make it happy.

As for the MR-73, it is my grail gun. An amazing revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    What about putting a 586 barrel on a M19 Smith? Would that work?
    Yes it works. My next door neighbor had one installed on his M19. Screwed right on, no drama.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List