Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripforce Adaptors

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The owner of Grip Force saw this thread and emailed me, suggesting that the ridges on the underside of the GFA where it fits against the pistol backstrap can be reduced if one wants the device to fit more flush against the grip--especially when cut down like on the G19's above. Well, I took his advice and gave it a try--like the man said, it makes the GFA fit even better. Good company, good product--I'll be getting more of these!
    I really like the GFA but never cared for the ridges. This is what I have been doing to them:

Site Supporter
    GJM,

That looks perfect, how did you do that?

David

Smile

JoJo's, custom 1911 builder in CT did it. I told them it would be good practice for building one of their high end 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I really like the GFA but never cared for the ridges. This is what I have been doing to them:

That's awesome dude. Those ridges were actually the only thing that I didn't like about the GFA on my G19. I'm gonna see about doing that to mine, and give it another shot.

Do I really need one?

I'm still debating about whether or not to purchase one. My quandary runs thus:

I'm still relatively unschooled. I've had some pretty good training courses with firearms so far, and while I've almost exhausted what I have locally, I'm going to be in the market for more advanced training courses with nationally recognized instructors in the future. I've been shooting guns for awhile, but it's been mostly long guns. My CCW is only about a year and a half old, and I've been shooting handguns for only slightly longer than that. My first carry piece was a 5 shot revolver (Sp101, 3"), which is a great little gun. After about a year of research as to the platform I was going to invest in for serious use, I opted for the 9mm glocks. I am very happy with my decision.

However, I'm still in the process of practicing my technique. I run many of the drills that Todd posts on his blog, and while I am making measurable and satisfactory progress using them, I'm still primarily focusing on perfecting the fundamentals before I start adding crap to my guns. And I will freely admit I have a long way to go; while I am making good progress, my drill scores are still sufficiently embarrasing enough for me to have no desire to post them.

That said, I like the perceived benefits that Todd, the good Doctor, and others have posted with the GFA. But do I really need one at this point? What I'm concerned primarily with is that the GFA will be at this point a crutch for me to speed up my progress by dropping a few bucks instead of dropping a few hours of practice, and I want to have my reliance on my own skills, not on purchased hardware. I don't want to "buy skill" as Todd puts it and rely on accessories to bring me up to 90% of my possible skill level and then plateau out because I used gimmicks to mask deficiencies early on in my shooting career. What do you guys think?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    That looks perfect, how did you do that
    I did mine with a dremel and a sanding drum.

Just picked up a "Mod 1" version this morning from the local "fun store". It has less pronounced grooves near the rear of the beavertail. In the barber chair at the moment. Will post a pic later this evening.

Grrr!

It's for a Gen3 not a Gen4. Oh, well...
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 09-17-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've been using the GFA for a few weeks, I like it.

I ground down the grooves on the backstrap and knocked the corners off the rear grip squares. I have fairly small hands, and I found the GFA on a Gen3 did increase the grip enough to slow down my reloads (there's not smoking to begin with). The fix was to switch from the vickers mag release to a contoured Glock extended release. Previously, I had issues with the extended release chewing up my left hand, but that's fixed with the recontour and slightly different left hand position (because of the GFA).

I would rather modify my remaining Gen3 guns w/ a GFA and extended mag release than send them away for a grip reduction.

I'm interested to try this concept but own a HK P2000. I think I'm going to do a hack-job on the XL back-strap. I'm thinking I'll sand down and round out the part of the palm/heel portion and leave the upper web part. Maybe put some grip-tape on the heel afterwards to finish it off....

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I've been using the GFA for a few weeks, I like it.

I ground down the grooves on the backstrap and knocked the corners off the rear grip squares. I have fairly small hands, and I found the GFA on a Gen3 did increase the grip enough to slow down my reloads (there's not smoking to begin with). The fix was to switch from the vickers mag release to a contoured Glock extended release. Previously, I had issues with the extended release chewing up my left hand, but that's fixed with the recontour and slightly different left hand position (because of the GFA).

I would rather modify my remaining Gen3 guns w/ a GFA and extended mag release than send them away for a grip reduction.

JV, is that contoured mag release an OEM part? I got a GFA to try it out. I have small hands as well, as well as a lovely set of club thumbs. WIth the full GFA, it was completely impossible for me to actuate the vickers mag release on my Gen 3. So I went ahead and cut the bottom 2/3rds of bottom of it off, sanded the sharp edges to round them, and then sanded the hell out of the grooves. Now, I only have to twist the pistol in my grip slightly more than without it, but the increased slowness in my reloads is definitely noticeable. My modified GFA definitely delivers on its promise in terms of what it does, but I'd definitely be interested in a larger mag release.

User Tag List