Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm auto questions

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the SIG P220 run well.........

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the SIG P220 run well.........
    If the past is any guide, they will run great up to the point the small parts fail catastrophically.

I really want to know what they're doing about the takedown lever. I haven't been able to get the beefed up takedown lever from the P220 Combat for several years. The takedown lever is the real weak point, especially with stainless frames.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I can't say more, but sig has a bunch of 10mm stuff in the works. Regardless of "design", full house 10 is tough on a service sized pistol. It is what it is.

Is the xtp not good through windshields? I was looking at some tests with it in 10mm and 45 and they all looked really good.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't have information to believe Glock has done any systematic testing of heavy/fast hard cast and penetrator style ammo in the Glock 20/29. Never heard of any testing in the 1066/1076 with heavy loads either, which is not surprising given the reason the 1076 came out and the available loads back then. I think the end user is essentially a beta tester for the kind of ammo that is appealing for use against animals with these models.

I haven't shot enough heavy loads to be sure, but I have never had a stoppage with my Colt Delta with any load. Maybe 1,000-1,5000 10mm rounds of various flavors.
    Weren't both of those guns designed around the original Norma loads? If I recall correctly those were 200 Grain FMJ at 1200, and a 170 JHP at either 1300 or 1400, I disremember which.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Weren't both of those guns designed around the original Norma loads? If I recall correctly those were 200 Grain FMJ at 1200, and a 170 JHP at either 1300 or 1400, I disremember which.
    They were built around the fbi load, 190 at about 1050.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I can't say more, but sig has a bunch of 10mm stuff in the works. Regardless of "design", full house 10 is tough on a service sized pistol. It is what it is.
    Well, I did see a table full of 10mm Sig ammo at Gander Mtn yesterday. I do not recall specifics, but I seem to remember it being a 180 grain FMJ load advertised at 1200 fps which is pretty close to what the round is capable of producing. It had me thinking to myself, "Myself, I wonder if they are going to release a 10mm MPX conversion kit soon..."
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    10mm MPX conversion kit soon..."
    That would be awesome.

How about this one. If it ran good, and if it was controllable, would you advise a 200gr hardcast 10mm at 1200fps or the same in a 40 going 1000fps vs a 180gr XTP 10mm going 1200fps vs a 147gr HST, 180gr HST, or 230gr hst if you had the option to choose. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this idea that the 10mm does nothing. I feel like the hard cast removes all doubt that it could clog up or not penetrate and you still get a .40" wide hole.

Otherwise I have no need for my 10mm and ill just carry a damn glock 19 everywhere including black bear and cat country.

Quote Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
    If it ran good, .
    That is exactly the problem. Did I say 10mm is a pain in the ass a page or two ago?

My Gen 4 29 is waiting for a trip back to the mother ship to fix ongoing reliability issues. This afternoon, I shot my Gen 3 29SF. Grabbed some Double Tap 180 FMJ-FP at 1,200 fps, which I picked specifically because it seemed lower power factor than the 200/1200 load, which seems at the edge of the reliability envelope. Well, round three I had a nice stoppage, where the empty case was wedged in the ejection port. My wife carries a 29 frequently in Alaska, and I have told her only factory XTP ammo or the Federal Trophy Bonded load. That joins my problems with my 1066 and 1076 not functioning with 200 hard cast from Double Tap.

I think the 1911 might be the best 10mm platform for launching hard cast 10mm ammo from a semi auto.

Now on the other hand, I have an HK USP 45, that shoots .45 Super without missing a beat. I am using the Buffalo Bore 230 FMJ-FP at 1,100 fps, and I train with regular .45. The USP is strong, accurate, reliable, available with a stock DA/SA trigger, match DA/SA trigger, LEM, and hybrid match LEM with or without thumb safety. HD sights are available and it is supported by the factory and various the holster makers. It is not a tiny pistol, but it sure does seem to run.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List