Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 10mm auto questions

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Thanks! I'm not familiar with Longshot, I'll have to take a look at it.
    After some experimentation, that was the powder I settled on for 10mm. Highest velocities and great accuracy. It was a bit flashy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    After some experimentation, that was the powder I settled on for 10mm. Highest velocities and great accuracy. It was a bit flashy though.
    I don't mind flashy for what I need. I would like to push a 200gr bullet at 1200 or so though.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I don't mind flashy for what I need. I would like to push a 200gr bullet at 1200 or so though.
    If I remember correctly, I settled for "or so" and wound up somewhere in the 1150 to 1175 range, out of a stock Glock 20 barrel, with Hodgons max load of 8.2 grains. I did run about a thousand rounds of that with Hornady 200 grain FMJ's and XTPS without a problem though. There are folks on the internet who report using higher charges of Longshot, up to a full two grains, but I've never seen reputable load data for that.

I haven't paid much attention to 10mm for a few years, but I don't think any powders have come along that will top that, velocity wise. At least not if you stay with the book maximums, which I always do.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 08-25-2015 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    BTW, this is the way folks ought to proceed with a Glock 20 or other 10mm carried as a field gun. SOP for 99% is they practice with .40 S&W power level shooter ball, since that is what is available and economical, buy one box of super duper boutique ammo for bear defense, load their magazine and assume it will work.
    Um....busted. I did run a mag of it through without any problems. One. Mag. Totally enough of a reliability test for something that's supposed to stop me from getting eaten, right? This forum continues to be a great resource.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If I remember correctly, I settled for "or so" and wound up somewhere in the 1150 to 1175 range, out of a stock Glock 20 barrel, with Hodgons max load of 8.2 grains. I did run about a thousand rounds of that with Hornady 200 grain FMJ's and XTPS without a problem though. There are folks on the internet who report using higher charges of Longshot, up to a full two grains, but I've never seen reputable load data for that.

I haven't paid much attention to 10mm for a few years, but I don't think any powders have come along that will top that, velocity wise. At least not if you stay with the book maximums, which I always do.
    Longshot is excellent for 10mm. I just received 2000 rounds of a 10mm 180gr Gold Dot load from Georgia Arms. They seem to use 8.4gr of longshot for that load according to a pulldown by The_Shadow on http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo-pull-downs/. Intercooler got 1220fps out of his 4.75" barreled EAA. That makes it a starting load according to Hodgdon's data. So it should be a pretty low pressure load. So far looking at the spent cases, it is a pretty low pressure round. It should do about 1180 to 1200 out of my Glock 20. I think that is about perfect for that Gold Dot. And, it functions reliably out of my 20 no matter how lightly I grip the gun versus a heavy Underwood Load such as their 200gr XTP that requires a somewhat firm grip to function 100% reliably.
    Last edited by DAVIDF; 10-24-2015 at 06:11 PM.

User Tag List