Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm auto questions

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The original intention was to offer reduced and full-power loads ala the 38 Special and 357 Magnum and allow agents to choose which to qualify with. Apparently, the project died before carrying the full-power loads was an option.
    Thank god. One small area they didn't manage to screw up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Thank god. One small area they didn't manage to screw up.
    But what about Agents working in Grizzly country? :-)

Just kidding !

glock can work for you

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Well, as a dispassionate observer with NO 10mm experience, but quite a bit of experience with other calibers, I would say that (the idea that the 10mm does nothing) is a silly notion. I have too many friends who use the caliber to kill hogs on their deer leases, and they ALL report that the 10mm out of unmodified G20s does better on feral hogs than any other handgun they've tried.

Okay, okay; I realize we're talking BIG critters here in this thread, but stay with me. One of those afore-mentioned friends reloads, and worked up a 10mm load using a "name" 180gr JHP .40 bullet that cranks an honest 1200+ out of a stock G20 barrel. But it took him a while to find the "sweet spot" that gave reliable function. He says a hit with that stuff ANCHORS the pigs, whereas the other guys, using various factory loads, report that the pigs don't always drop, but don't run very far afterward.

My point here is, it sounds to me like you guys having difficulties are using what factory and/or boutique ammunition is available over the counter. Custom tailored handloads can provide the power AND reliability you're seeking. It can take some effort, but would be worth it it, IMO.

Yes, I realize that not everybody has time nor the inclination to handload.

mag360, I am one with no need for the 10mm, because when it comes to personal defense calibers, it is indeed an answer in search of a question. But in many opinions, it is the best compromise for a powerful semi-auto pistol cartridge with the necessary energy to deal with large carnivores; and ones not so large, but incredibly resilient and tough. A reliable 10mm auto can do both; give one a chance against the big four-legged critters, AND deal with two-legged ones, while remaining easily concealable. I know that last is what my buddy LSP552 is looking at; the less guns he has to fly to AK with, the better off he'll be.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a 10mm pistol, gathering brass and other components, and seeing what I could come up with. What has stopped me is lack of a suitable "platform". The large frame Glocks are simply too big for my hand. No way around that (although, I haven't tried a Gen4 G20 yet, but the Gen3 SF isn't sufficiently smaller).

The Delta Elite is a bit better, but I want point'n'pull… no 1911s for this boy for serious work.

The big frame S&Ws "fit" me okay, but they are all long out of print; finding parts could be an issue. I'm going through this right now with a 3953, and am finding that operating a vintage relic is NOT worth the sometimes-necessary scavenger hunt for pieces/parts. Some folks enjoy that aspect of it; not I.

I was REALLY interested when Sig announced a production P220 in 10mm. But, as earlier noted, those are not quite ready for prime time… if they ever will be.

So, a suitable pistol is holding me back right now. But I think the concept is just fine.

The glock29 is too big for my hand too, but I wanted one and manged to melt/stipple the grip to where it fits my hand like a glove. It doesn't slip anymore when I fire it, just a good comfortable grip.
    I wanted a better trigger...I modded it and it is as smooth as I want it.

The sweet thing about glocks is you can alter them in so many ways. So many after market parts. YMMV

Another drawback of 10mm is weapon durability. 10,000 rounds of 9mm out of most modern handguns isn't even a challenge .10,000 rounds of full house 10mm = broken pistol.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

An email showed up this morning on a new video -- comparison of the Glock 17 and 20 by Larry Vickers. My interest was piqued, as I have always thought of a 20 as just a scaled 17, but figured the LAV might know special stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCrA...=TLIbDgriy9IuE

That was three minutes and change of my life that I would like to get back, as ...... Larry explains the 20 is a scaled up version of the 17. The highlight was Larry explaining how the G20 held 13 rounds in the magazine -- apparently he has special ones, as mine hold 15.

I may have a better appreciation now of why Larry isn't an appendix fan.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
    I have a bunch of questions here I keep putting off but figured I'd just ask as my searching isnt coming up with much.

Are folks better off just carrying a .40 or a 45 auto? Is the extra velocity not doing anything? I understand we should skip the 135,155gr JHP loads due to rapid expansion/fragmentation and the nuclear 180gr stuff that over expands but how about the 200gr? or the Barnes all copper 155gr? Is the only downside that this isn't made by Federal or Winchester in bulk and it has a bit more recoil?

Are the reasons more technical? Is the XTP bullet a poor performer in auto glass/steel/wall board? Take this test for example it's a 200gr xtp going ~1200fps and expanding to ~.55" and penetrates 19.9" isnt that really good? And if the 10mm is considered so good for hunting or woods are all those folks buying into a fancy sales pitch with no substance?

I think the 10mm is an excellent round and a little extra velocity isn't wasted when matching the correct velocity with the correct bullet. The 180gr XTP and Gold Dot driven at moderate to fairly high 10mm velocities do well. I prefer those over the 200gr. I think I remember some good tests with the 155gr Barnes, I think Andrew Wiggins tested it on youtube (The Chopping Block). As Andrew said, Gold Dots at moderate velocities work well. Also, the 10mm Critical Duty load is excellent. I don't particularly care for the .40 Critical Duty, but when it is driven at the additional velocity in the 10mm load it performs much better exapanding to a good amount and still mainting good penetration. It is also a very comfortable load to shoot out of a Glock 20.

I like the Glock 20 and it is my primary carry when I don't want or need something tiny. It has been extremely reliable with everything from very light .40 loads with a conversion barrel to heavy Underwood 200gr XTP. Not a single malfunction as of yet. However, I have not tried any of the WFN HC loads yet. Some have had good results with them in their 20's and some of the guys on 10mm forum have 40,000 or more rounds thru their 20's with no issues.

Well going camping tomorrow and I still feel better with the 10mm g20 and some hardcast on my hip than a 9mm or 45. Maybe its just voodoo, but I think it's better, even if only a little.

Glad to've found this thread. Going to shoot my USP Compact .45 and G29 w the new LW29L bbl. I just bought this weekend. Plan to shoot groups at 25 yards (knowing the HK will likely win) w ball, defense loads I carry and the heaviest loads I can find in the stash.

Know I've got plenty of DT 200 WFNGC around, and it's functioned fine thus far in regular 29 bbl; though I've not done any support side one-handed yet. May stop by the LGS and pick up some BB .45 +P and Super, too.

Right now I'm planning to pack the 29 w longer bbl on a Colorado elk hunt. That barrel ensures it meets CO's ft.-lb. requirements and TN's bbl length req.

I'm carrying a rifle as primary, but would love to take black bear off a gut pile with the 10mm.
    Last edited by coldcase1984; 08-08-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by mag360 View Post
    I have a bunch of questions here I keep putting off but figured I'd just ask as my searching isnt coming up with much.

Are folks better off just carrying a .40 or a 45 auto? Is the extra velocity not doing anything? I understand we should skip the 135,155gr JHP loads due to rapid expansion/fragmentation and the nuclear 180gr stuff that over expands but how about the 200gr? or the Barnes all copper 155gr? Is the only downside that this isn't made by Federal or Winchester in bulk and it has a bit more recoil?
    Are the reasons more technical? Is the XTP bullet a poor performer in auto glass/steel/wall board? Take this test for example it's a 200gr xtp going ~1200fps and expanding to ~.55" and penetrates 19.9" isnt that really good? And if the 10mm is considered so good for hunting or woods are all those folks buying into a fancy sales pitch with no substance?

A little necropost, but my 2-cents. The 10mm is about as good as it gets when it comes to a general purpose semi auto handgun cartridge, in that it can be configured for human or 4-legged threats. Is it ideal for either?......"maybe" not. It is certainly more difficult to control when you need to shoot fast and accurate against a moving threat that may be shooting back at you. It also does not rapidly displace large volumes of tissue and bone like a .44magnum would on a large predator. However, when it comes to hogs and white tail it does seem to demonstrate an observable improvement over standard service calibers in how rapidly it will bring them down. Do I dare pull up old school thinking that comparing hunting success to potential scenarios against humans might have some validity to it? Regardless, the 10mm can be configured to have high expansion and reduced penetration with bullet weights of 155gr-165gr, and then that penetration can be increased by going with 180gr-230gr loads. So lots of potential there for the guy that wants a do everything caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    ... So lots of potential there for the guy that wants a do everything caliber.
    Unfortunately for me, it has been a do nothing caliber.

User Tag List