Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How dangerous are squibs?

For the record weighing cartridges to check if there's powder in them ain't gonna work for crap. Powder weighs a mere fraction of what the bullet does and bullets vary quite a bit in weight. You'll find that every cartridge is completely different.

Been there, thought of it, found it doesn't work. Just don't screw up the reloads and you'll be fine
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

In my experience, depends on the load. For example, using 9 mm cases of the same maker the weight spread is about 2 gr, and quality (cast or bought) 9 mm bullets also have a max. 2 gr spread. If your powder dose is 5 grains or more, and if your measure throws with a 0.2 gr spread (normal with a fine grained powder), you could at least detect if there some powder or not. Since the biggest problems with progressive reloaders is not ussualy consistenciy but loading without powder, or a double load, they can be detectable.

This said, I never do it. I'm just VERY careful and sistematic with my reloads.

People shoot other calibers than me? Madness

If OP is super worried about it a 650 with powder checker + a light to visibly verify loads works wonders. That's what I did when I started and I've yet to have a round not work, and I'm somewhat sloppy (+/- .3g) with pistol loads
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I'm not sure, and I never may be completely sure, but I may have had a squib recently. Rather than copy/paste it here, I'll paste a link to where I mentioned it in another forum (hope that's not against the rules).

Might have narrowly missed a kaboom
    It might also show how easy it is, in the heat of the moment, to forget all about the warning signs, no matter how much you think you'd recognize them..

To my credit, I took that incident, regardless of whether that was what happened or not, as a "teaching moment", and that will always be in my memory in case anything like that ever happens again.

Just happened today. Freedom Munitions 147gr remanufactured. 3000 rounds of it, with this being the first issue. Cleared the barrel just fine.This is my first ammunition related issue in about 90K with the P series.
    Name:  tmp_20150627_161226-519265217.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  62.5 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

I've seen a bunch, and many with rds fired right after them. No guns came apart, no injuries whatsoever. EXCEPT, for a 5.56. That one blew the gun apart and knocked the shooter out. I didn't see that one, but it happened at work and was well investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've seen a bunch, and many with rds fired right after them. No guns came apart, no injuries whatsoever. EXCEPT, for a 5.56. That one blew the gun apart and knocked the shooter out. I didn't see that one, but it happened at work and was well investigated.
    Are you allowed to comment on what the investigation found as the cause?

I've always thought these were nonexistent with factory ammo, but I guess there's always one or two bad apples in a big enough grove eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Just happened today. Freedom Munitions 147gr remanufactured. 3000 rounds of it, with this being the first issue. Cleared the barrel just fine.This is my first ammunition related issue in about 90K with the P series.
    Name:  tmp_20150627_161226-519265217.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  62.5 KB
    If you don't mind my asking a slight derail, is that a P30? If so, what Sight setup is that? (Front FO I think?)

(I have the Hollywood-searchlight glow-in-the-dark OEM sights on my VP9, was looking for something like I have on my M&P (black out rears/10 8 front))

Thanks!

Rich

PS apologies to the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    If you don't mind my asking a slight derail, is that a P30? If so, what Sight setup is that? (Front FO I think?)

(I have the Hollywood-searchlight glow-in-the-dark OEM sights on my VP9, was looking for something like I have on my M&P (black out rears/10 8 front))

Thanks!

Rich

PS apologies to the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    P30 v1 10-8 RS Dawson Precision .100 wide x .170 tall FS. Currently evaluating after working with the DP tritium FS for several years.
    Taking a break from social media.

I've seen two in the past year while on RSO duty, after not having had any for quite a while before that. Both were with reloads, one of those by a very experienced reloader who admitted that he "must have gotten distracted." There was absolutely no doubt, the sound was all wrong, pop instead of bang, and both times the shooter knew it as quickly as I did. The second one was noteworthy in that it did cycle a Glock 22, when we broke it down the bullet hadn't quite cleared the barrel.

I also vaguely remember one a long time ago during a CCW class, the guy had a cheap revolver with a lot of play in the cylinder. I remember it in part because the instructor kicked the guy out of class, he was oblivious and was stopped as he was about to fire a second round. Probably would not have ended well considering the very low quality of that revolver.

We also have a few bulged and at least one blown barrel kept at the range, those considerably pre-date my time there and they are used as teaching props.

User Tag List