Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Highway Patrol Adopts Sig P320.

OHP has a long history with Sigs and being constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    OHP has a long history with Sigs and being constant.
    Which is how most contracts are actually done. Sig has had some reps who have done very good work in some areas keeping some customers very happy. A ton of issues can be fixed with good customer support. Brand loyalty can be a double edged sword. As long as it is cutting the direction you want, it is hard to change. As long as you don't get cut by the other side, all is well and I really don't blame agencies for sticking with something that logistically works for them, even if it doesn't make sense to those outside their system. With that said, agencies must be prepared for the day when their brand is no longer the way to go and should keep their options open.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

OHP also still has what they call the "Big Boy Rule" I am told, carry what you can qual with. They have been issuing Sigs for a long time, but a lot of troopers carry Glock 31s. There are a few carrying .44magnums over in the panhandle.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    To the 320 also?
    Sorry yes the P320. They are in a mandatory open bid process right now for fair vendor opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    OHP also still has what they call the "Big Boy Rule" I am told, carry what you can qual with. They have been issuing Sigs for a long time, but a lot of troopers carry Glock 31s. There are a few carrying .44magnums over in the panhandle.
    ^^^^Truth. Vince can tell you stories about one of them who qualifies with 100s nearly every time with full house magnums. One stage of the state-mandated CLEET course requires three rounds fired weak hand only. Ouch.

.. a lot of troopers carry Glock 31s.
    I hope they aren't counting on that to be a death ray on vehicles.

When those two Mississippi troopers chased that shitbird in a stolen Land Rover into St. Helena parish and lit him up when he crashed and pointed a pistol at them, the performance of the .357 Sig cartridge was... underwhelming. They fired 13 rounds at the vehicle, hit with all, and only two of them actually got inside it- through the rear window. Gold Dots, IIRC.

I relate this only because I've heard (and seen written) a general opinion, among cops who know more than which end of the gun the bullet comes out of, that the .357 Sig is a car-killer, etc., etc. We too have a very generous policy concerning personally-owned duty weapons, and have had a few guys toting G31s or .357 P226s in the past; dunno know about now, and no shootings with the cartridge that I know of.

^^^^Truth. Vince can tell you stories about one of them who qualifies with 100s nearly every time with full house magnums. One stage of the state-mandated CLEET course requires three rounds fired weak hand only. Ouch.
    The LA. P O S T Firearms Course requires 6 rounds fired Non Dominant Hand Only.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I relate this only because I've heard (and seen written) a general opinion, among cops who know more than which end of the gun the bullet comes out of, that the .357 Sig is a car-killer, etc., etc. We too have a very generous policy concerning personally-owned duty weapons, and have had a few guys toting G31s or .357 P226s in the past; dunno know about now, and no shootings with the cartridge that I know of.
    I blame Texas DPS for starting that rumor. They had two early shootings that have been repeated ad nauseum. One involved a suspect in an 18 wheeler. The 45's didn't hit the driver but the 357 Sig did. Anyone who knows about shooting into vehicles knows that whether a bullet penetrates depends on what structures inside the door are struck, not the bullet. The other involved a suspect stealing a Trooper's car. He fired at the suspect but the 45's didn't penetrate well. So, they adapted the 357 Sig - apparently so they could shoot up their own cars better.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Is he huge?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That's pretty cool to hear actually.

With my recent interest in the Sig round I've perused a lot of testing stuff on company sites and other independent "stunts" and my sense is Hornady's Critical Duty load is a pretty strong contender for a .357 Sig using agency that was focused on getting into vehicles.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List