Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective Season 2

True Detective Season 2

Starting out dark.
    #RESIST

Just downloaded it. Hope it is as good as season 1.

Unlike many of the critics, I enjoyed the premiere episode of Series 2. I like that the show does not just jump into the "case"; instead, it spends some time setting the table. The most compelling character, so far, for me has been Ani (Rachel McAdams) as her issues have issues. Her home speaks to her mindset, and that suggests she should not be on the street. It should be interesting to see where the story takes her. I am not sure that Vince Vaughn can rise to the level of acting that we saw in Series 1, especially after watching a stereotypical reaction to being put into his place. Enjoy seeing David Morse as Ani's father and his line about his other daughter's name.

Looking forward to more.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I am not sure that Vince Vaughn can rise to the level of acting that we saw in Series 1, especially after watching a stereotypical reaction to being put into his place.
    You should have more faith in one of the few pro-gun actors in Hollywood today
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I like that the show does not just jump into the "case"; instead, it spends some time setting the table. .
    This. Those are some seriously flawed LE types, so you know bad things are just an eye-blink away. Should be interesting, at least.

I enjoyed it. My only 2 concerns are:

1. The opening music choice sucks.
    2. Can Vaughn pull it off.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    I thought the premier was Meh. Lots of stereotypes with a varnish of moodiness. Opening credits suck as bad as last season (way too long, terrible music, visually boring), but last season turned out well so I'm not awarding any negative points for that.

I, too, had my mind's eye distracted by a Wedding Crashers image of Vaughn. I think he'll be ok, but his character is plagued by more stereotypes. Kelly Reilly may (I hope) turn out to be the most interesting character for me.... She seemed more "in charge" than your average moll. Hopefully she turns out to be more Mags Bennett than bimbo arm candy.

2.5 stars on the Premier, mostly for the way too many stereotypes.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I really hope they are not going to do the tired old trope about "PMCs (ala Blackwater) are eeevil" with the "Black Stone" bit.
    #RESIST

The first episode of season 1 had me hooked and I binge watched the rest of it. I'm not feeling the same about this season, and it's not the cast that bugs me. The corruption and bent cops story just isn't as compelling as the unsolved case of season 1. I'm also concerned that different directors won't be able to stay as focused as the single director of the first season.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I like it so far. Two out of the three cops are drunks, which kind of set the pace for me.

User Tag List