Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Keep the AK?

Site Supporter

Should I Keep the AK?

Thinning out the gun collection so it is not a collection by a set of tools that I use.

I mostly shoot handguns but got rifles like any good minded thinker of self defense and the craft, taken rifle classes as well. Limited time like most of us. I got an AR as my home defense gun.

I got an Bulgarian AK that Rifle Dynamics worked on that sits in the back of the safe. Clint Smith says it's one of those guns you should know how to run. It doesn't get use and I don't stock a lot of ammo for it.

Thinking about letting it go but it's got all wood furniture and it reminds me of old school action movies and I appreciate having it around as a training piece. I'd probably roll the funds back into the guns with some red dots or ammo or something, better guns, not more guns.

Talk me out of it or push me off the cliff.

Thanks

Cookie Monster

Keep it. Bulgarians are the best of the AK's and its nice that its a Rifle Dynamics gun. Based on politics and election consequences,there could be a time when you can never replace it. I have several, but I do not ever see my SAM-7SF ever going anywhere.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Sell it.

If you have use for items it would fund, and little use for the item sitting in the safe............. the logical answer is to liquidate it.

Besides, everyone knows the AK is junk anyway, and for what you can sell it for, you could easily buy a Bushmaster and an EOTech.

If you decide to sell it, I will buy the rear sight (opened up by Rifle Dynamics) -- $20.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I owned 2 AK100 pattern rifles I had built by Jim Fuller on Nodak Spud receivers. They're sweet, and probably the finest AK you can find.

After a few years, I ended up selling them, because I preferred the AR, and was personally faster with a AR in all measurable performance standards, including 1st shot time, splits and reloads.

If you're not a collector and if you don't absolutely love your AK, I'd sell it and upgrade your current guns or buy better versions of your current platform.

Part of the reason I sold my AK was also to standardize on only needing to buy 5.56 and 9mm with .22 and 12 gauge also stocked. Now I only need to worry about stocking AR mags and ammo for my rifle needs. It's easy.

That said, if you have the patience, I would wait until the next scare, most likely election related, and reap the benefits of fear buying.

You should have at least one AK in the safe. Because reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Keep it. Bulgarians are the best of the AK's and its nice that its a Rifle Dynamics gun. Based on politics and election consequences,there could be a time when you can never replace it.
    This. 2016 is not far away.
    #RESIST

I've sold, bought again, sold again, etc. various types of guns more so than the average "never sell a gun" guy. If you're not shooting it and would put the money to other, better, use then I'd sell it without thinking about it. Especially if you put the money towards a class, vacation, or other experience-based spending instead of object-based.

But, I don't know the Gucci AK market so I don't know what you could get for it. To me, AKs are <$500 guns. That would go a lon pg way towards tuition for a class, or a couple of nights in a decent hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I've sold, bought again, sold again, etc. various types of guns more so than the average "never sell a gun" guy. If you're not shooting it and would put the money to other, better, use then I'd sell it without thinking about it. Especially if you put the money towards a class, vacation, or other experience-based spending instead of object-based.

But, I don't know the Gucci AK market so I don't know what you could get for it. To me, AKs are <$500 guns. That would go a lon pg way towards tuition for a class, or a couple of nights in a decent hotel.

Um yeah. If he is willing to sell a Rifle Dynamics AK for less than $500, I'll take it.

User Tag List