Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Python

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Same here. I keep thinking I should sell it and get something (probably several somethings, given today's prices) that I'd actually use, but just can't do it.
    Do it...[emoji41]

I've been shooting g with you for at least 3 years and I've never seen it. I think it doesn't exist. Are you scared to shoot it little man?¿? <--just some shooting buddy trash talk.

Great looking heater you picked up there, looking forward to the article. Brings back memories of a 45 long colt anaconda I shot over 18 years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I was aware of their prestige, but then I shot a few I didn't like the DA triggers as much as my S&Ws, and certainly didn't see any difference in accuracy compared to the 586/686. I'm not a super shooter but I can hold tight groups with my handguns, and I'm fairly experienced.

Beautiful guns, though.

Yep, the Colt triggers just stack different and I also like the Smith trigger better. The Colt 357 and Pyhons tend to be great right out of the box, but the second there is an issue you are screwed. There is like one guy left at Colt to work on them and most of the legends of Colt smithing are gone. The few folks left have wait times in years. It is why they tend to be like 65 split window Vette's....you look at them in the garage, your friends all know you have one, and you drive it once in a blue moon. Meanwhile, your GP100 is a 3/4 Diesel Truck you can put a million miles on without much issue, and you don't cry when it gets some hail damage or a door ding in the parking lot (likely giving more door dings than receiving).

With the Walking Dead show, the 6" stainless Python has generated a TON of interest from a new generation. It is why I got tasked to run a test on one. I also picked up a 6" Anaconda in .44 because of its use in the new Mad max movie. Movie guns are cool and I am working on getting some examples of other famous movie revolvers, as they tend to be great investments. Wait till you see tonight's post...... One of my all time favorite movie's has a 6" Python in a significant role. If you have not seen Dead Bang, you owe it to yourself. GREAT 80's type cop flick. They got a ton of funny details right with it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

With no intention of stealing nyeti's thunder .....

This is '67 production Python that I bought in 1974. For a working teenager not making a lot of money, $125 was a pricey tab but the package deal included a Bucheimer Crass-Draw holster, a Sam Brown belt and a partial box of magnum factory loads. I'm 99% certain the gun was originally a Florida HP issue.

Since the bluing was worn off on most of the high spots, I sent it to Armoloy (the plating cost $80 IIRC) in 1979 when I got baptized into LE and then carried it as a duty gun for several years in a Tex Shoemaker holster.

I think I'll just keep it.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Other than the Royal Blue finish that was to die for, I never was a fan of how Colt revolvers looked or shot. One of Austin Behlert's last projects was to add a roller bearing in the double action lock work of a Python. While I never shot it personally those who I talked to that had said it was the best feeling DA they had ever shot.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Do it...[emoji41]

I've been shooting g with you for at least 3 years and I've never seen it. I think it doesn't exist. Are you scared to shoot it little man?¿? <--just some shooting buddy trash talk.
    Need to break it out one last time then sell it off.
    But it's probably the only time I'll ever manage to triple or quadruple my $ on something, can't quite pull the trigger, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    These names should dust off a few cobwebs for you old farts out there that are Python fans; Reeves Jungkind, Jerry Moran and Fred Sadowski.
    Reeves Jungkind was THE man for Pythons. Dunno if the other two are still kicking (and working), but Reeves took an incredible amount of knowledge and artisanship to his grave.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Reeves Jungkind was THE man for Pythons. Dunno if the other two are still kicking (and working), but Reeves took an incredible amount of knowledge and artisanship to his grave.

Reeves Jungkind and Fred Sadowski are both deceased. Supposedly Jerry Moran is still up in Michigan but no longer does gunsmithing.

I had a 4" blued Python back around 1988. It didn't shoot any better the 686 I had at the time. I bought it for $350 and sold it for $400. I don't miss it but I do regret getting rid of the 6" Anaconda 44mag I had in the late 90's. I greatly preferred it to a the Adam Weeson 44 I'd had previously.

I loved the royal blue finish on a 4" Python.

My limited experience with shooting PPC in the mid-late 1980's was that a trained gunsmith could do wonders with the Colt DA trigger. But whatever they did, didn't last long before you started to have timing issues, ect.

I personally preferred the DA trigger of the S&W's.

I'd still like to own a Python or two. But there is no way I would ever consider paying the current market rate for one.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    With no intention of stealing nyeti's thunder .....

This is '67 production Python that I bought in 1974. For a working teenager not making a lot of money, $125 was a pricey tab but the package deal included a Bucheimer Crass-Draw holster, a Sam Brown belt and a partial box of magnum factory loads. I'm 99% certain the gun was originally a Florida HP issue.

Since the bluing was worn off on most of the high spots, I sent it to Armoloy (the plating cost $80 IIRC) in 1979 when I got baptized into LE and then carried it as a duty gun for several years in a Tex Shoemaker holster.

I think I'll just keep it.

Nice, and this isn't about me. I like this part of the forum and the revolver based stuff in general because it seems to be the least contentious, enjoyable part of the Internet gun forums. That is a good looking working gun. What is funny is the Armaloy that has "ruined" the gun by collectors standards is what made it a workhorse by cop standards. I doubt it was a FHP gun if it was blue as I believe they used Nickel ones. I could be wrong though.

Picked some stuff up at the local shop today. They had a twin of the Dead Bang Python. Kind of a beater and looked like an 80's user cop gun......for almost $3,000.....Not a fricking chance. Again, they are nice, but not that nice. Makes the Model 27 prices that they are getting seen downright like a bargain.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List