Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Python

The Python

I have never been a real fan because of their reputation for not being good hard use long term beaters, and a lack of folks to work on them. I finally got one and was assigned an article on them, so we will be doing a solid shooting test of what are now investment guns as their prices are simply stupid. The Nill grips arrived today for the shooting test and this should be interesting. The action is great and they are known for being tack drivers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Another gorgeous acquisition. Congrats. I can't wait to read the article.

I paid $350 for mine back in 1992, 'cause revolvers were dead ya know. Really wish I had it back. They're largely over rated and I consider the S&W M27 to be a much better gun of the vintage, but they are stylish. I just can't bring myself to pay the insane prices they command now.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

DB strikes again, beautiful can't wait to learn more from the article.

Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

As a teenager, I knew someone who had a 6" nickel plated one similar to yours. I'm not a revolver guy, but that was my favorite that I've experienced. The action was like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    They're largely over rated...
    Truth.

The faster twist barrel does stabilize wadcutters a bit better than S&W barrels (which is why, in the early days of PPC, some guys were putting Python barrels on K-38s), but other than that, the S&W is just a better revolver all around... the older, pre-MIM/pre-lock guns, that is.

Of course, Rick Grimes has done for the Python what Harry Callahan did for the M-29; so there's no accounting for vicarious thrills.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have never been a real fan because of their reputation for not being good hard use long term beaters, and a lack of folks to work on them. I finally got one and was assigned an article on them, so we will be doing a solid shooting test of what are now investment guns as their prices are simply stupid. The Nill grips arrived today for the shooting test and this should be interesting. The action is great and they are known for being tack drivers.
    That looks to be a late-production stainless example?

I bought my brother an early 80's model, 6" Royal Blue after he made it through Fallujah. It was the least I could do.
    #RESIST

These names should dust off a few cobwebs for you old farts out there that are Python fans; Reeves Jungkind, Jerry Moran and Fred Sadowski.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I paid $350 for mine back in 1992.
    Same here. I keep thinking I should sell it and get something (probably several somethings, given today's prices) that I'd actually use, but just can't do it.

User Tag List