Page 82 of 260 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo deals!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Monarch brass 9mm I have bought was PPU headstamp. Ironically, it has a really nice extractor groove that runs great in everything I've shot it in.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The Monarch brass 9mm I have bought was PPU headstamp. Ironically, it has a really nice extractor groove that runs great in everything I've shot it in.
    I'm willing to check out just about any brass case 9mm for $160/case. So I hit up Google, and everything I could see there also said PPU, but the back of the boxes they had were marked "Made in the Philippines" and the headstamps are Armscor headstamps. I wouldn't know when they made the switch, but it also seems that Herter's at Cabela's did the same thing recently, but I couldn't readily figure out who's making theirs now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    That's all very useful info. Thanks especially for the heads up about the extraction problems. I didn't even know that Monarch made any brass-cased ammo and didn't bother to look at those boxes. I've shot just a tiny bit of Armscor, and I don't remember any problems with it, so I'll definitely keep this fact in mind the next time I'm there. The second cheapest deal on brass-cased ammo I saw tonight was 115 gr Fiocchi which was $8.99 a box.
    i believe my Google-fu said their steel case is made by Barnaul? I bought 5000 rounds of Armscor .22 late last year, and while it's filthy nasty stuff, it functions fine in my .22's that aren't horribly ammo picky. This would be my first experience with their 9mm.

I've seen a couple other folks somewhere along the way say they've had some extraction issues with some Federal ammo. I've shot a fair bit of Champion brass cased with no issues, and when I started chronographing ammo after Christmas, it actually comes in well above advertised velocity, where everything else thus far has been somewhat below, including the Black Pack. Black was on rebate the end of the year, so once my rebate comes back, it'll have been around .13/round, and I bought a couple thousand rounds of the stuff. I've shot somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds of it, and had 5-6 failures to eject between the two pistols. Shot a marginal amount through my PX4 compact and 9mm converted G22 with no problems.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Same here, it ran fine through my PX4. I went through a 500-round box of the Federal black box stuff and it ran okay too. I've reloaded the brass from both with no problems.

My guess is that Academy looked for someone to supply ammo for them and PPU got the contract; when that ran out Armscor got the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I stopped at Academy Sports tonight, and they had 250 round Federal Black Packs of 115 gr 9mm for $39.99, so $160 per thousand. I've never shot any of this ammo before so I only bought 500 rounds. (They only had 750 rounds left in stock.) Now that just about all of my usual online vendors charge state sales tax, I was really pleased to find brass-cased ammo for this price locally. Hopefully it shoots well.
    I bought two cases of 115gr black pack after thanksgiving for $160 from Sportsmans Warehouse. So far I've shot about 1,000 rounds of it with 1 failure to feed. 25 yard 10 shot group size from a bench is about 4" for me, which is about equal to 115 Federal Champion and about double 124 American Eagle.

Good deal on Speer Lawman 180 gr 40 S&W

Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Site Supporter

Target Sports At It Again - Gold Dot and G2 This Time

The website is here. Ammo is half price, but you have to add it to your cart to see the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    The website is here. Ammo is half price, but you have to add it to your cart to see the right price.
    At that price it has to be LEA trade ins. The HST cost is more than twice the price of Gold Dot there and Gold Dot is normally slightly higher than HST.

With prime pricing on a case that is a great deal. Not sure if it's trade in but wouldn't hurt to e-mail and ask.

That link brings up the website generally for me, but nothing special. Everyone else is getting deals and pricing bargains. What am I doing wrong?

User Tag List