Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 S&W Long Wadcutters vs 380?

32 S&W Long Wadcutters vs 380?

Wondering how 32 S&W Long in Ruger LCR or J frame compares to whatever top 380 loads in Ruger LCP or Glock 42?

I normally carry Glock 26's for pocket carry and 38 special J frame when need lighter gun but age and health issues making shooting even light 38 loads in Airweight J frame debilitating.

So starting to explore alternatives to my J frame.

My experience with the truly tiny pistols, Keltec P32 specifically have been poor. Grip is just to small for one handed shooting under any pressure for my hands, even before my current pain issues.

I'm not comfortable dropping down to rimfire in snubby, but have been really interested in discussions about the 327 Federal mag snubbies with 32 Long wadcutters, plus if needed even more recoil reduction for bulk of practice could step down to 32 short for even less recoil.

Ive got the 32 s&w long in the back of my mind as a geezer gun, but I think Ill drop to 38 Short Colts in the 38 spl first. the standard loads run a 125 gr bullet at 700-something fps. I loaded some for light plinkers, but may work up a slightly faster load with the TC 125 gr bullets to find the comfort level in the small guns and see how they do. I also have a Ideal 358345 mold, which is a 115 gr swc.

I have a weird project in mind, a Colt D frame with frame flat topped/target sighted and a 22 Diamondback barrel rebored to 32. It would be a fun shooter and small game gun mainly, but I guess would make a fair geezer gun.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-09-2023 at 08:42 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If I've linked this Lucky Gunner article correctly, it should open on .380 with .32 Long right below it.

Buffalo Bore .32 Long is quite pleasant in the LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post

Buffalo Bore .32 Long is quite pleasant in the LCR.
    This is the load that lives in my .327 LCR. Very pleasant, minimal recoil, and accurate for me.
    I try and mimic this round with my handloads.

I hope once Georgia Arms recovers from the fire damage they'll pursue development on a Self Defense round in .32 S&W. Best wishes to them. Good company. Nice folks.

Site Supporter
    I also chose 32Long over 380 for my small guns. I have a pair of LCR's and use the BB load as well. I prefer a snub over an LCP sized auto.

@Dov I haven't kept up on journals, did you talk about your injuries there? IIRC you're a bit younger than me, just curious what caused the current issues.

For exploring the pocket gun, I've got the 442, tried the 43c disaster, and came back to the LCP. Running 70gr IRT by Federal, is very pleasant. Along with my handloads, (yes I'm once again loading .380) it is quite fun to shoot.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Got a SW 432 and load it with Buffalo Bore 32 HR Mag, the reload in a speed loader or strip is Hornady, which I have quite a bit of. I toyed with buying an LCR but didn't. I belt carry a revolver its an out of production SW 632 SS, hammered, comp'ed, 3 inch 327 mag. I have that loaded with a fierce hard cast BB 327 mag - for hikes on trails. Love that gun. Put on fiber optic front sight. I shot it quite a bit with 32 SW Longs as outlaw in IDPA. BTW, I've mentioned before that with a full, balls to the wall, 327 Mag load, it is a beast and BOOM. Scares the children. It will whack your hand if you don't get a good grip.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

@CCT125US

I've talked a bit about my health issues but not great depth, TLDR version related to self defense & shooting several issues that cause body wide chronic pain, plus fatigue issues, plus some additional pain issues because for previous ~decade pain and fatigue prevented me from working or being active much at all.

Lot of minor things can trigger severe muscle spasms & pain, no way I can do any type of contact martial arts anymore, though I can still do punching bag, cardio, & weight lifting so it could be worse.

I had some surgery around 2017/2018 that helped lot with sleep/fatigue issues, before that I spent lot of time in bed because just didn't have energy to do much, after that surgery didn't need to lay around all day very often but basically sat at my desk (home office) on computer which led to some additional pain related to sitting for so many hours.

This year I've made big improvements, so much that I'm finally working again though not fulltime, with a lot of physical therapy and etc building on the strength & cardio I've been doing since that surgery, I'm hoping I might be able to shoot my Airweight J frame with 130 FMJ and wadcutters without severe pain by end of year because I have been making a lot of progress, but last time I shot J frame with just 130 FMJ it crippled my hand for 3-4 days and hurt bad for few days past that.

I'm not weak strength wise, since that surgery that helped with sleep I started lifting weights again, my dead lift is still nowhere where it used to be, but otherwise I'm reasonably close to my old strength despite being almost 15 years older than when this started and 40 lbs lighter. At this point most of the muscle mass I'm still missing is from legs and lower back.

But I am limited by grip strength I can exert without triggering spasms, I think with the J frame with the 130 FMJ it was the grip force needed more than the recoil.

I can grip full strength with dumbbells and barbells and chin up bar with no problems as long as keep good form with wrists, but many types of grip especially pinch gripping or griping and twisting at certain angles can trigger spasms bad enough to cause bruises.

I think Lost River loads and sells some 38 Short Colt ammo, it may be worth a try to see if its in your comfort range for your existing gun until you can get back to wadcutters or whatever.

Edit: just looked, his are a bit above the standard velocity factory loads, I dont know how that translates to recoil in a small gun. if you reload or know someone that does, you can get some loads made on the lower end of the power/recoil scale. Completely untested opinion, but I think Id trust 38 Short Colts more than 22 rimfire as to effectiveness in a bad moment.

Can relate to much of your health journey.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-10-2023 at 10:11 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    An interesting thread. I read a piece about how the computer media industries are not focusing as much as they should on older folks. At the Quest lab yesterday for a vampire draw, I saw older people totally befuddled by the check in kisok. How to use the menus, where to scan their insurance and licenses - horror show. One poor guy had to turn to the waiting room and say: Can someone help me?

I would have jumped up, but beaten to it by a nice younger woman. Since I have a good tech background, not a problem for me - YET!

I think it is an avenue for the gun world to explore. Guns for the older folks - like 32 revolvers with decent triggers, things like the easy rack guns, tip ups in 380 from Beretta, SW, Ruger. One might even argue for a pickle ball analog for competition. Current ones stress, heavy guns, running like a track meet to chase milliseconds. At our matches, we have solid group of super seniors who just want trigger time and hits - not a race where you stand at start like an Olympic sprinter. Holsters for the grumpy old bodies of all genders (not going there).

Not having more lesser caliber divisions - 22 LR, 32 ACP, etc - suggesting that brings on fits in some games!!! OMG!!!I don't see why running Glock 44s or the equivalent 'tactical' guns isn't allowed. Steel does it. We ran 22 LR carbines as a division in our carbine matches.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List