Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gen4 G19: observation during 2000 round challenge

Site Supporter
    JAD, I'm hesitant to comment on fore arm alignment. I didn't notice anything looking off in this regard, but it wasn't something I was specifically looking for. Likewise I haven't paid close attention to my friends hand size, but my impression after looking at his grip last week is that his hands are a little bit bigger than mine. (I have no trouble shooting a Gen2/3 Glock but prefer Gen4 without a backstrap.)

However, I did get a good look at his grip after the malfunctions because I wanted to see exactly how his hands were placed on the pistol. The strong hand thumb was basically directly above the support hand thumb. If I remember correctly, the pad of the strong hand thumb was resting on the nail of the support hand thumb. It seems unlikely to me that the thumbs are impeding slide travel, but my observation was made after the fact and not while he was shooting. I'll pay better attention the next time we shoot.

I've only been shooting with this guy for a few months. (He's my sister's best friend's husband, and we just happened to move to KS from different parts of the country around the same time.) Shortly before he moved to Kansas he sold a .40 caliber XD that he'd had for a while, and then a few months after the move he bought a Ruger GP100. That's the only center fire pistol he owns right now.

One other thing that just occurred to me is that this friend is the person who was shooting my Steyr GB last month when it locked up (link to thread). I don't think it's related, but it seems worth mentioning. At least he shot my Browning Hi Power without incident.

Site Supporter
    I went to the range again last week with this same friend. I didn't make as many controlled comparisons as I'd intended, but I did make one more noteworthy observation. The above mentioned friend put 10 rounds of 124 gr NATO through the Gen4 G19 using a factory mag and experienced zero malfunctions. Then he switched to the MagPul G17 mag and had 4 malfunctions out of ten rounds. I also had my first malfunction ever with this pistol while I was using the MagPul mag (Geco 124 gr ammo). Round count is 1806 now, so soon I'll make my first entry in the 2,000 round challenge thread. Regardless, it seems that this particular pistol definitely does not like this particular magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I went to the range again last week with this same friend. I didn't make as many controlled comparisons as I'd intended, but I did make one more noteworthy observation. The above mentioned friend put 10 rounds of 124 gr NATO through the Gen4 G19 using a factory mag and experienced zero malfunctions. Then he switched to the MagPul G17 mag and had 4 malfunctions out of ten rounds. I also had my first malfunction ever with this pistol while I was using the MagPul mag (Geco 124 gr ammo). Round count is 1806 now, so soon I'll make my first entry in the 2,000 round challenge thread. Regardless, it seems that this particular pistol definitely does not like this particular magazine.
    weird, we have been using 6 mag pul mags between my 1 and my friends 5.. no malfunctions so far.

*make sure u have the latest gen glock mag pul mag!

Indeed, get a new one since the recall if you haven't already.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    As far as I know, my mag is post-recall. I didn't buy one as soon as they were released, then most places were out of stock, then the recall, then places had the mags in stock again, then I bought mine. The date code on my mag body is 5/15. According to MagPul's Facebook page, the 5/15 mags are post-recall. It seems like I saw a picture somewhere of the differences between the mag bodies, but I can't dig it up now.

User Tag List