Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: LAV bans AIWB for his courses

Site Supporter

LAV bans AIWB for his courses

Just saw on FB that Larry Vickers will no longer allow AIWB in any of his open enrollment courses.

"You've been warned"

Seriously though, I'm curious as to the instances he refers to. I think there are lessons to be learned from discussing such incidents even if the instructor or company are not named.

I just read about this. It's an unfortunate decision for sure.

As students, we get to choose who we train with. If LAV is comfortable alienating some students to improve what he believes is his ability to run a safe course......well...so be it. Move on to another instructor to get the training you need.

LAV ban's AIWB for his courses

Here's LAV's post incase anyone doesn't have Facebook or missed it:

Heads up for anyone attending a pistol class taught be me - I am banning use of appendix carry holsters in my classes

I know of two different students in two different classes taught by two different instructors who have shot themselves reholstering - I don't want my name added to that list

If an individual wants to carry concealed that way that is fine by me but an open enrollment class with 15-20 different skill level shooters and upwards of 100 draws and reholsters is an accident waiting to happen when you add in a pistol like a Glock or M&P

This will go into effect immediately - if you are planning on attending a class in the near future and this affects you and you need a different holster please email me via my website and I will get you squared away
    Thanks for your support

This reminds me of a few previous threads about SFAs and AIWB. I recall GJM and others discussing the merits of live practice with a OWB strong side, yet dry fire and carry AIWB.

This is a internal dialogue/debate/argument I've had to come to terms with as well. I have no issues with an instructor asking me to not work from appendix during a course if they chose to. Wayne and DB go this route as well and ask that all use OWB strong side during their classes. It didn't drive me away from their instruction as I understand the reasons, especially with open enrollment courses.

I've had other instructors ask that on TD 1 I go IWB/OWB strong side and if I was able to demonstrate safe and competent gun handling on TD2 have allowed me to go from AIWB.

interested to hear other perspectives and in no way am I critical of how each individual decides to either choose an instructor or run their own courses.

Why is this such a big deal? Why is this hurting so many people's feelings? If this hurts your feelings, then let go of the emotional attachment you've created with your method of carry.

It's just a holster. He feels it's not worth letting students use them in his class. With all the Timmy derp going around these days, I don't blame him.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    With all the Timmy derp going around these days, I don't blame him.
    And that sums it up, in one easy sentence.

The LAV is smarter than he looks -- live fire appendix in a large group you don't know well, is the shooting equivalent of unprotected sex.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List