Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: LAV bans AIWB for his courses

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Liability in any situation is a highly fact dependent determination.

I would look more to the following factors to focus on for an opinion letter to a client, or in the preparation of a case (plaintiff, civil defendant or criminal defendant):

1. Experience of the instructor running the class.
    2. Student to instructor ratio.
    3. Complexity of the material taught vs the experience of the students.
    4. Medical plan in place.
    5. The quality of the liability waiver.
    6. The circumstances under which the waiver was executed.

That’s by no means an exhaustive list of things to look at, but those are my first thoughts on the subject.

Addressing my #5 & #6 for a moment, I’ve noticed that the firearms training industry has really poor practices when it comes to liability waivers.

Some of those waivers are written by...I don't know...seriously, do instructors get some of these waivers off the internet on "Idon'tneedalawyerbecauseIstayedatanamebrandhotel. com"?

Don't tell me. I don't want to know.

Also, pretty much every liability waiver I’ve ever signed in a class has been presented on the first day at sign in.

Contracts, even good ones, signed under duress are of questionable validity.

Now, what constitutes duress varies, but were a case to survive to presentation to a jury, I’m going to bet that a contract first show to a guy who has planned on the class for six months, made plans around it, taken the Friday before the weekend off to drive 400 miles, paid a non-refundable $500 for a class and is told when he arrives, “Sign it or get off my firing line…” is going to be looked at in a suspect manner.

If I was someone who was addressing liability for an instructor, I’d be much more worried about that than the holster methodology an instructor permitted in his class.

A far better practice would be to have the waiver written by a professional describing in detail the risks involved in the class, the activities to be performed, making it clear that the student would receive a refund if they didn't want to sign and insuring that the waivers were notarized & executed, and returned to the instructor by a set time prior to the class beginning.

But, you know...that's just my thoughts on how I'd avoid being sued in the firearms training industry.

It's not like I'm a vulture searching for prey on a daily basis or anything...

Nope. Don't know nothing about sniffing out weaknesses in other people's behavior and never look to how I can chisel money out of an insurance company...

Wouldn't do that...

So. A-IWB. Yep. Focus on that in regards to liability.

Please.
    Mitch, you should write up one and sell it to instructors. Or better yet, charge them $100 to review theirs and offer changes/suggestions.

Your position regarding signing the waiver under duress is interesting. I will have to give that some thought and do a little research on the subject here in my own state.

LAV bans AIWB for his courses

Contracts, even good ones, signed under duress are of questionable validity.
    Very interesting point. Now that I think about it, other activities that required waivers that I've encountered all expected signed paperwork as part of enrollment.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    Maybe some of us are just slow, but get what? Get that you will not answer my questions regarding whether or not the actual information I posted was legitimate, but instead simply want to attempt to minimize that information because I do not practice law? I never professed to be anything here other than a guy with some questions for the crowd to contemplate, and to explain some of the basics of Tort law, which I learned in my first year in law school.

Again, the question is for you, Mr. Prosecutor, is what I said correct, incorrect or what? If you don't want to play anymore, that is fine. I am still here though.
    All depends on who's arguing the case and how good (persuasive) they are in court.

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Very interesting point. Now that I think about it, other activities that required waivers that I've encountered all expected signed paperwork as part of enrollment.
    I think the duress argument is stronger with the first time student, as opposed to someone who has taken courses before (assuming they signed waiver for the course.) It's not like they could argue that they didn't realize they would have to assume the risk of the activity.

So I guess guns can be dangerous?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    So I guess guns can be dangerous?
    Lawyers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Lawyers, too.
    I am glad I am not one!!!

Law school graduates included.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Lawyers, too.
    Hey, I don't bite unless I'm ordered to.

Or I see something juicy.

Or I'm bored.

Or in a foul mood.

Or I'm happy...

Hey, I don't bite unless I'm ordered to.

Or I see something juicy.

Or I'm bored.

Or in a foul mood.

Or I'm happy...
    Lol. Well said. I'm guessing that you have a pretty good win/loss ratio

User Tag List