Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One sight picture for everything

I use a similar type of sight on everything because that is what I shoot best with and prefer. All black square notch rear and a fiber or tritium dot front.

Even if you're using one set of sights for everything, you can still get "Multiple-Sight-Picture Confusion" when lighting changes. When I was running a TCAP and Operator Pro yellow rear, we did an experiment at the range. Our indoor range offers us a good amount of lighting control, so we set up various lighting situations that were quite dark, but allowed for enough ambient light to PID and work safely. Things that mimicked gas station lighting, etc. Then, we ran a few timed reps designed to mimic the shooting requirements of a civilian alley self-defense situation, i.e. draw on a timer, shoot a few shots, maybe mozambique, maybe two targets to engage, etc.

On many occasions I found myself really thrown off by unexpected sight pictures. I had previously come to think my wiz-bang Ameriglo combo was "hi-viz" in all situations, the ultimate carry sight, yada yada. Well, in most of those drills, I saw all black sights, and it really screwed me up bad. Even at times that I was sure pre-drill that the lighting allowed me to see the tritium, I'd draw and see black. The limited amount of "stress" and rushing of a timed staged scenario was enough to change my perception a bit, which was compounded by lighting conditions that my sights were suboptimal for.

Lesson learned: you need to go practice your sights in different lighting conditions, live fire. Also, for every sight there is some realistic lighting condition for which it sucks. Finally, I think there might be some value in spending some time running all black sights so your body knows what to do when it sees them. I was so wrapped up in finding a dot to drive (paint or tritium) that I got really messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    You mean CAP's? Wasn't aware they made the TCAP for anything other than Glock's.
    Actually, I meant the spartans. This is why some of us shouldn't type on the internet in the morning before the coffee is done brewing!

I like to have my guns set up the same.

However, I recently tried FO on my 19 and still have hacks on my Shield due to the fact it is a PITA to swap them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Actually, I meant the spartans. This is why some of us shouldn't type on the internet in the morning before the coffee is done brewing!
    Happens to me all the time

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Is someone who uses one type such as fiber optic at more of an advantage then someone who uses all black or fiber to game but night sights for carry? I would say that someone who sticks with one will be at an advantage if they have to use them under stress
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    What about different sights on different weapons: pistol, rifle, shotgun?
    Strictly speaking, I would agree that one type of sights is probably an advantage. But I think this is a lot like the gun-switching discussion. I think there is some room for switching (and has to be, given some people's jobs.) I think you have to make sure to put effort into anything you expect to be any good at, and I think you can learn things from different guns - and maybe from different sights too. I think if you want to be at your absolute sharpest, I think that is going to come from concentrating on one gun, sights, etc. How that advantage manifests probably varies a lot. There are a lot of shots that aren't going to demand the sharpest level of performance a person is capable of. But a few might. So probably the difference between being 'super sharp' and being 'pretty good' is not going to be discernible in many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    For the past several years I have used a 10-8 RS and Dawson Tritium FS .125 wide. I have passed on several purchases because that exact combo was not offered. Last month I switched to a FO FS that is .100 wide. The increase in accuracy and speed has been dramatic across a range of performance standards. I plan on continuing to evaluate that combo and make the switch if it works in the long run.
    Very interesting! I like the slimmer dimensions that non-tritium sights offer too.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Even if you're using one set of sights for everything, you can still get "Multiple-Sight-Picture Confusion" when lighting changes. When I was running a TCAP and Operator Pro yellow rear, we did an experiment at the range. Our indoor range offers us a good amount of lighting control, so we set up various lighting situations that were quite dark, but allowed for enough ambient light to PID and work safely. Things that mimicked gas station lighting, etc. Then, we ran a few timed reps designed to mimic the shooting requirements of a civilian alley self-defense situation, i.e. draw on a timer, shoot a few shots, maybe mozambique, maybe two targets to engage, etc.

On many occasions I found myself really thrown off by unexpected sight pictures. I had previously come to think my wiz-bang Ameriglo combo was "hi-viz" in all situations, the ultimate carry sight, yada yada. Well, in most of those drills, I saw all black sights, and it really screwed me up bad. Even at times that I was sure pre-drill that the lighting allowed me to see the tritium, I'd draw and see black. The limited amount of "stress" and rushing of a timed staged scenario was enough to change my perception a bit, which was compounded by lighting conditions that my sights were suboptimal for.

Lesson learned: you need to go practice your sights in different lighting conditions, live fire. Also, for every sight there is some realistic lighting condition for which it sucks. Finally, I think there might be some value in spending some time running all black sights so your body knows what to do when it sees them. I was so wrapped up in finding a dot to drive (paint or tritium) that I got really messed up.
    dove, great observations and thanks for posting. I can relate to a lot of that and have observed much of the same myself on our indoor range. Great post!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List