Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One sight picture for everything

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So not to ruin someone else's thread, why do people use multiple types of sights at once? Is someone who uses one type such as fiber optic at more of an advantage then someone who uses all black or fiber to game but night sights for carry? I would say that someone who sticks with one will be at an advantage if they have to use them under stress
    Taint that simple, IMO.

For me it's a matter of utilizing the best tool for the job. For example, I very well might choose a tight all black on black serrated combination for shooting bullseye. On the other end of the spectrum, for fast paced action shooting at speed, on the move, etc... I might choose a sight combination with a more open relationship and some sort of bright aiming reference that'll allow me to "see what I need to see" faster.

Carry/duty sights for me are always going to be a compromise b/c of the breadth of potential conditions in which they may need to be used. When you can tell me beforehand what conditions will be present when my time comes, I'll make an educated best choice. Until then, I'm going to continue to use what provides the best balance of characteristics based on *my* most likely set of needs.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Taint that simple, IMO.

For me it's a matter of utilizing the best tool for the job. For example, I very well might choose a tight all black on black serrated combination for shooting bullseye. On the other end of the spectrum, for fast paced action shooting at speed, on the move, etc... I might choose a sight combination with a more open relationship and some sort of bright aiming reference that'll allow me to "see what I need to see" faster.

Carry/duty sights for me are always going to be a compromise b/c of the breadth of potential conditions in which they may need to be used. When you can tell me beforehand what conditions will be present when my time comes, I'll make an educated best choice. Until then, I'm going to continue to use what provides the best balance of characteristics based on *my* most likely set of needs.

t
    Gotcha, but my question is if that is a good habit or is a it a bad habit. i understand the concept but I personally feel like you might be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

FULL DISCLAIMER, THIS ISN'T A POST TO PROVE THAT FIBER, NIGHT SIGHT, OR BLACK IS BETTER THEN ONE ANOTHER.

I will also say that to include rifle or shotgun in this argument is dumb. If you pick up a shot gun and expect your glock 19 sight picture, their is nothing i can do for you. I think they are different enough that your self conscious will catch onto the fact that it SHOULD EXPECT YOUR SHOTGUN SIGHT PICTURE. I am basing this off of three psychology classes (college )

As long as they all shoot to the same POI I don't think it matters at all. My game guns have game sights , my carry guns have carry sights and it bother me not at all.

Then again I game DA/SA and carry a striker fire pistol and this has causes me no issue either. Look at sights pull trigger all good.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Gotcha, but my question is if that is a good habit or is a it a bad habit. i understand the concept but I personally feel like you might be putting yourself at a disadvantage.

FULL DISCLAIMER, THIS ISN'T A POST TO PROVE THAT FIBER, NIGHT SIGHT, OR BLACK IS BETTER THEN ONE ANOTHER.

I'll take the theoretical disadvantage of using more than one type of front sight on my pistols to gain the well documented advantages they bring to the table in their respective roles.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I'll take the theoretical disadvantage of using more than one type of front sight on my pistols to gain the well documented advantages they bring to the table in their respective roles.

t
    Trackin.

I've been using FO front sights for gaming lately because they are so visible in daylight. Much of my work time over the decades has been at night, so night sights are what I pick for that role.

I used to have XS sights on my duty gun, working nights they were a great choice for me, my eyes, and my working conditions, but I didn't forget how to use standard black sights in the mean time, just never saw an issue with switching back and forth.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I will also say that to include rifle or shotgun in this argument is dumb. If you pick up a shot gun and expect your glock 19 sight picture, their is nothing i can do for you. I think they are different enough that your self conscious will catch onto the fact that it SHOULD EXPECT YOUR SHOTGUN SIGHT PICTURE. I am basing this off of three psychology classes (college )
    Sorry about the caps.didn't catch it last night

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I've switched all my Glock's to TCAP's. I use them for everything. Was running fiber's on a couple, but prefer having the same sights on them all.
    My issued M&P9 duty pistol, along with my M&P9c and Shield I use at work have the Amarillo TCAP. So does the Glock 19's I carry when off work. They work well for my aging eyes (RMR's not an option for work guns due to Depart. policy).

Call me a "Simple minded son of a b*tch" if you want to, but I like consistency...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    My issued M&P9 duty pistol, along with my M&P9c and Shield I use at work have the Amarillo TCAP. So does the Glock 19's I carry when off work. They work well for my aging eyes (RMR's not an option for work guns due to Depart. policy).

Call me a "Simple minded son of a b*tch" if you want to, but I like consistency...
    You mean CAP's? Wasn't aware they made the TCAP for anything other than Glock's.

User Tag List