Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before I should give up on fiber optic sight?

How long before I should give up on fiber optic sight?

Took my G34 with Warren/Sevigny sight combo (.245 front fiber optic) to the range today. I was horrible. I couldn't get a good sight picture quickly like I can with Trijicon HDs or other three dot sights. About 200 rds down range today and I left feeling defeated.

I bought this gun for IDPA/USPSA and everyone recommends FOs for them.

Anyone else have a hard time transitioning from 3 dots to fibers? Any tips? Should I just go back to HDs and be done with it? Will HDs suffice for USPSA?

Are you focusing on the three dots of the HDs when you're shooting them, or just focusing on the front sight and soft focus on target/rear? I don't have a problem transitioning from three dot, to my fiber front/warren rear Glock 34, to my heinie strait eight 19 (painted front sight post). You really should be focusing on the front sight of any sight combo you're using, with the variations in types of sights primarily being to allow an easier time focusing on/picking up the front. At least that's my experience.

Re: HDs and USPSA, probably depends on your skill level. There's a reason a lot of people prefer the thinner front sight in the game. A lot of which is precision, and the wider light bar, but I don't think you're going to suffer too much with the wider front sight, especially not while starting off. The added bonus is you're practicing a sight picture that's consistent with your carry gun.

Just my two cents,
    Cole

Focus is on the front sight, but it's just harder to visually pick up than the bright glowing orange orb of the HD. I had the green FO in today and swapped it for a red when I got home. We'll see if that helps.

I'm an absolute fiber optic cool-aide junkie. (No, I don't use them on my carry guns though ) That said, I've found that if in bright sunlight with newer FOs, the brightness can distract from a good traditional front sight picture. They glow so much that it becomes challenging to focus on the square lines of the post in the notch. Try and use a dark colored sharpie (little increments) on the top of the FO tube until it's less intense. You can always wipe it back off if you go too far, or replace the FO tube, but you might find that with it just a little less bright, it'll be more serviceable for you.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I'm an absolute fiber optic cool-aide junkie. (No, I don't use them on my carry guns though ) That said, I've found that if in bright sunlight with newer FOs, the brightness can distract from a good traditional front sight picture. They glow so much that it becomes challenging to focus on the square lines of the post in the notch. Try and use a dark colored sharpie (little increments) on the top of the FO tube until it's less intense. You can always wipe it back off if you go too far, or replace the FO tube, but you might find that with it just a little less bright, it'll be more serviceable for you.

t
    I use a fiber on my carry. Love it

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I use a fiber on my carry. Love it
    Yeah, I'm not gonna turn Danny's thread into the same old debate. That said….I don't "love it".

I think there is a temptation/tendency to initially shoot fiber optic sights like a red dot -- see the dot on target and press. That is the beauty of FO, that glowing thing. Eventually you learn to use the amount of the rest of your sights as required for a given difficulty shot. The size of your fiber dot can also be a factor, with the larger the dot, the more it overwhelms the rest of your sight in bright conditions. Also, the relationship between front and rear sight dimension factors into accuracy. The fiber often allows you to go with a tighter relationship, helping accuracy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ya. Gjm nailed it. The type writer drill helped me learn the fiber set up

I found for my eye green fibre makes FO sights substantially more usable. I don't get that starburst that blocks out the front sight when it's bright ,while still being , strangely, easier to track than red.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I would also experiment. I'm getting close to what I think will be perfect for me. Running a .115 rear notch with .105 width front. I think this is very close to perfect for me, I think once I go to .095 it will be awesome. But I was like you at first. Just have to experiment. If you want fiber optics to work for you then try different ones! Not all sights are created equal!

User Tag List