Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapid mass murder in-progress, aka Active-Shooter response

Rapid mass murder in-progress, aka Active-Shooter response

Today seemed like a good day for me to revisit this subject.

The linked article is a few years old, but nothing in the mean time has caused me to change my opinion that the only historically proven way to stop a rapid mass murder in progress is for a solo good guy, be they "civilian" or cop, to start shooting back as soon as possible.

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/featu...featureID=3593
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

"Police work is not about risk avoidance, it is about risk mitigation while also doing the job we have sworn to do."

Chuck, excellent article that is as relevant today as when you wrote it.

When it comes to an active shooter incident, I feel that sometimes the most effective way to mitigate the risk while stopping the violence is through aggressive and decisive action. The age old mantra of, "Speed, Surprise, and violence of action" may be the most appropriate response.

I read of the shooting incident in Charleston. The shooter allegedly reloaded five times, all the while talking to the soon to be victims. As I read the news reports, my first thought was that if only one individual in the church would have been armed, had some training and had the resolve to intervene, things could have been different.

I am a LEO and carry whenever I am able to do so. If I ever find myself off-duty and on the scene of an active shooting incident, I am not naive enough to automatically assume I will prevail against an unknown number of shooters. I do know that I would rather die on my feet, trying to stop the incident, than to die on my knees, helpless.

Now more than ever, if you have the legal ability to carry a weapon, I feel you have the moral duty to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    "Police work is not about risk avoidance, it is about risk mitigation while also doing the job we have sworn to do."
    They should tattoo this on you in the academy so you never forget it. But civilians need to man up as well. Waiting for help is just waiting to die. The only chance you have is to get in the fight.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

While it is the officers job to respond, it has been proven over and over that a citizen who carries will be able to engage and stop the murderer(s) short.

This is a responsibility that falls on all able-bodied citizens. If you can carry, you should.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

It's my understanding that churches in SC are off-limits for citizen carry unless specifically granted by a church official; perhaps they'll rethink that mindless prohibition in light of this incident.

I'm continually amazed at the number of reasonably intelligent people who really believe that the police (or any agent of government) can keep them safe or protect them from a random act of violence.

This incident became local news for me this morning when Dylann Roof - who has no known ties or connections to this area - was captured only 6 or 7 miles from where I live by the agency where I started my LE career. It's a small world, indeed.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    It's my understanding that churches in SC are off-limits for citizen carry unless specifically granted by a church official; perhaps they'll rethink that mindless prohibition in light of this incident.
    Why wait? I think the answer is already there. Many large churches have security teams, often armed. I'd guess more than a few are [re-]considering it today.

While the title of that article was "Single Officer...", which happened because I was pushing the idea back then for exactly that type of response and training, "civilians"/CCW folks/etc. are clearly first responders in such a case of they are on scene and LE is not. There was a lot of backlash in LE circles about solo officer response being "unsafe", which is simply bullshit. It's unsafe to go to work, make car stops, go to domestics,........ we do what we gotta do, if one is an LEO and unwilling to be involved in things like this they need to resign immediately.

Note that some of my solo responder incidents were CCW folks, that gal in the church incident in Colorado being an example.

Even if unarmed, acting may work, as in this case;
    http://www.emporiagazette.com/news/p...64bd26279.html
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    In these cases, it may seem wise to assume the shooter is armored. Any tips from LEOs about what to do against an armored spree killer?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    In these cases, it may seem wise to assume the shooter is armored. Any tips from LEOs about what to do against an armored spree killer?
    Shot placement in the high CNS / ocular triangle. (Not a LEO)

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    In these instances the murderer will be looking for LEO's (uniforms) to shoot at. You, as a concealed carrying citizen will have the element of surprise.

So force and space are on your side, use them wisely.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List