In ear, multiple fittings for ear canal
    Rechargeable with portable battery pack
    16 hour run time
    Adjustable volume

https://www.botach.com/3m-peltor-tep...ital-earplugs/

Does anyone have the scoop on these?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

From my extensive usage of IEMs (I've used Shures exclusively for portable audio for over a decade now), I'll just state that not everyone can deal with having something stuck in their ear for long periods of time; lots of people will get itching in their ears while the plugs are in. Beyond that, I recall that someone (I want to say it was ToddG) told me that ear plugs do not provide complete hearing protection, and that they should be paired with something over-the-ear or perhaps a ballcap, something to do with how vibrations can still transmit from beyond the ear canal? Not sure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    From my extensive usage of IEMs (I've used Shures exclusively for portable audio for over a decade now), I'll just state that not everyone can deal with having something stuck in their ear for long periods of time; lots of people will get itching in their ears while the plugs are in. Beyond that, I recall that someone (I want to say it was ToddG) told me that ear plugs do not provide complete hearing protection, and that they should be paired with something over-the-ear or perhaps a ballcap, something to do with how vibrations can still transmit from beyond the ear canal? Not sure.
    It's called Bone conduction noise and why ear muffs are genrally superior if you are only going to use one form of hearing protection. Doubling up is best.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It's called Bone conduction noise and why ear muffs are genrally superior if you are only going to use one form of hearing protection. Doubling up is best.
    Exactly. Getting awesome plugs is great... because it lets you wear thinner muffs when shooting rifles.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Exactly. Getting awesome plugs is great... because it lets you wear thinner muffs when shooting rifles.
    I run active ear muffs with Foam plugs - Im thinking the reverse would be problematic - conventional ear muffs would interfere with the microphones on active plugs no?

Do the custom molded conventional plugs offer real benefit over the Foamies?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I run active ear muffs with Foam plugs - Im thinking the reverse would be problematic - conventional ear muffs would interfere with the microphones on active plugs no?

Do the custom molded conventional plugs offer real benefit over the Foamies?
    So far, most of the inner ear stuff I've tried have done better than foamies. If the inner ear stuff interferes with active muffs... just turn off the inner ears. Simple problem.

Note that the Etymotic HD•15 are available on Promotive with slightly better pricing.

I wouldn't mind picking up a pair but they are less than a hundred off a pair of Sordin's so...they better pretty awesome.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Having small ear canals and dealing with a bunch of different plugs I'll take Sordins all day long. I wouldn't go in-ear unless they were custom made. Those are what a lot of skeet shooters seem to use.

I also wouldn't likely shoot a long gun without muffs anyway and would then prefer the outermost equipment to do the ambient amplification. Sordins and Surefire plugs are still tough to beat.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've occasionally fantasized about running active earplugs under active earmuffs or figuring out how to hook up a pair of custom IEMs to the microphones on Sordins/DEHPs in order to get the benefits of both doubling up and the "hear the good things clearly" concept behind active ear protection.

User Tag List