Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm about $1K short right now

I'm about $1K short right now

Good thing they are sold out already

I would like a Damascus folder with the Benchmade Axis lock that is sub $200 and more utilitarian.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Damascus will, most times, push $1k range. Beautiful, not very useful.

Stainless Damascus isn't actually damascus steel, either.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I had my eye on one of these. I was lucky they sold out pretty quick as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I would like a Damascus folder with the Benchmade Axis lock that is sub $200 and more utilitarian.
    Benchmade has made many folders with Damascus-esque blades and AXIS locks, but those are all like 500 USD and up. The Gold class knives definitely look nice, but I've been told that their fit and finish are generally not commensurate for the price Benchmade asks for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Damascus will, most times, push $1k range. Beautiful, not very useful.
    Where did you come up with that?

(The cost of the damascus is probably less than 4% of the selling price of that particular knife.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pup town View Post
    Where did you come up with that?

(The cost of the damascus is probably less than 4% of the selling price of that particular knife.)
    I meant knives with Damascus, not just the steel. I should have been more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I meant knives with Damascus, not just the steel. I should have been more clear.
    That's what I understood. But you can find plenty of damascus knives for less than a $1K.

Here's a truly custom folder.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...light=damascus

Or you can go cheap. (The damascus is probably made out of manhole covers and old tie rods.)
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...knife&_sacat=0

Here's some reputable damascus. One could get 3 to 6 folders out this billet, meaning the cost of the damascus would be $28 to $14

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALABAMA-DAMA...item3cfc63c28c

The point is the cost of damascus is close to insignificant for knives made by the top grinders. The damascus knives are more expensive because people will pay more.

Sebenzas and Mnandis with Thomas Devin stainless steel Damascus are under 1000k USD, with the plain versions of the small Sebenzas being close to 500 USD new. My pimped out Mnandi (Damascus with mammoth bark) cost me 855 USD:

I stand corrected

User Tag List