Thread: S&W model 25 in 45ACP

S&W model 25 in 45ACP

Does anyone shoot revolver in 45 ACP in competition or just pistol league shooting??

Can moon clips be speed loaded?

Are speed loaders made for rimed 45 ACP?

Quote Originally Posted by champco View Post
    Does anyone shoot revolver in 45 ACP in competition or just pistol league shooting??

Can moon clips be speed loaded?

Are speed loaders made for rimed 45 ACP?
    I shoot a 625JM in IDPA occasionally. You don't need a speed loader with a moonclipped gun, you just simply grab the moonclipped rounds off your belt and chuck 'em in (lots of .45 wheelguns have the cylinder charge holes chamfered to speed this process). The moonclip itself precludes the need for a speedloader-type setup, as with traditional revolver cartridges.

I use the North Mountain IDPA moonclip holder (http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html) and it has worked great for the few matches I've used it in.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb4c View Post
    I shoot a 625JM in IDPA occasionally. You don't need a speed loader with a moonclipped gun, you just simply grab the moonclipped rounds off your belt and chuck 'em in (lots of .45 wheelguns have the cylinder charge holes chamfered to speed this process). The moonclip itself precludes the need for a speedloader-type setup, as with traditional revolver cartridges.

I use the North Mountain IDPA moonclip holder (http://www.4wheelguns.com/IDPA.html) and it has worked great for the few matches I've used it in.
    Thanks for the reply. Great link to save. Do you use the rimmed brass??

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by champco View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Great link to save. Do you use the rimmed brass??
    45 auto rim is a bit hard to find. Does anyone know if 45AR rounds would work with a 45LC speed loader ?

Moon clips are quicker to reload but a PITA to get brass in and out of. They can also bend, tying up the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Moon clips are quicker to reload but a PITA to get brass in and out of. They can also bend, tying up the gun.
    California Comp Works makes tools for "demooning" and last I checked, Dillon sells them. Also, a large flat bladed screwdriver wedged close to the clip works to pop the first casings out.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    45 auto rim is a bit hard to find. Does anyone know if 45AR rounds would work with a 45LC speed loader ?

I would doubt it, the rims on 45 AR are pretty thick. Only way to know is to try though.

I thought sombody made one way back, maybe HKS?

Yeah, HKS. They still make them; 10 bucks at midway.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/467...-2-45-auto-rim

edit: don't think auto rim fits 45 LC loaders. I don't know for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I thought sombody made one way back, maybe HKS?
    HKS Model 25M. AFAIK, they are still available. Some guys tried to use them a few years back after one of the IDPA rules changes for revolvers.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List