Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Bellt or shoulder?

We are diminished
    That's precisely my point. A piece of gear that makes it difficult to get in a serious practice session is a hindrance to skill-building and thus not something I'd consider "serious."

As TGS said, there's a difference between "serious people who have to carry a gun" and "people who are serious about using a gun." The former might use shoulder holsters in great numbers; the latter don't seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think what's prompting people to respond so vigorously is that you are still ardently supporting shoulder holsters as if they ARE the best option for some very....unique...reasons.

There's a difference between proclaiming absolutes and probing for answers with writing, "I was wondering if there's an issue with drawing IWB at 3-4 O'Clock while seated in a car, and if a shoulder holster would be a good option?"
    If any impression is given that I'm "still ardently supporting shoulder holsters", it's WRONG. What I AM saying is that the reason I started this thread is because that seemed [past tense] to be the only way I could carry without pain in a car. I also said that I'm awaiting my first try-out holster [IWB] - first of several - and that I would have nothing of any moment to report until I'd tried them out. While I have no reason to doubt the expertise and experience of posters here, I'm starting to question ability to read and comprehend. So, to be perfectly clear, at this time I am NOT ADVOCATING ANYTHING. Maybe you were reading something posted by another person.

My goal: Find a strong side belt carry holster that will feel bearably comfortable, including while behind the steering wheel of a car. I also said that when I find that, my search will be over. So please do not attribute to me that which I did not post.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    That's precisely my point. A piece of gear that makes it difficult to get in a serious practice session is a hindrance to skill-building and thus not something I'd consider "serious."
    But the only reason it makes it difficult to get in a serious practice session is that the range rules have said don't do it. I can't see that as being a key element in "serious". It would seem that using that as a criterion "seriousness" would be defined by location and access instead of equipment and technique. If, for example, ranges and trainers were to suddenly decide that AIWB was dangerous and would not be allowed on the range, would that then mean those who carried AIWB were not serious?

As TGS said, there's a difference between "serious people who have to carry a gun" and "people who are serious about using a gun." The former might use shoulder holsters in great numbers; the latter don't seem to.
    As I pointed out, my experience seems to disagree with that, and it would seem to be rather circular in definition as well as totally arbitrary. YMMV.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post

As I pointed out, my experience seems to disagree with that, and it would seem to be rather circular in definition as well as totally arbitrary. YMMV.
    I'd still like to hear who specifically these people are. Not names, but positions/titles/organizations would work. I don't know of anyone in the shooter communities that uses shoulder rigs.....they're extremely popular among fobbits, though.

From public bio of David Armstrong: "A diverse 30+ year background of both military and law enforcement experience, with a lot of time spent teaching others to fight with firearms. Also had the opportunity to participate in some training many others don't get, which gives me a different perspective on some things."

Current occupation: "Mild mannered college professor".

I've bought my popcorn, so I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the discourse.

We are diminished
    Dr. DA -- It's not merely a matter of range rules. It's simple functionality. You said it yourself... doing 200 reps of draw & fire with a shoulder holster is more tedious than doing it with a more traditional belt holster. If I practice less, my skill is less. Thus, anything that hinders my practice hinders my skill and is of questionable value.

What it really boils down to is this: what can a shoulder holster do for me that a belt-line holster cannot, and are those alleged advantages enough to outweigh the disadvantages? In my experience, serious shooters unanimously answer that question in the negative. So while there may be some unusual specific circumstances in which a shoulder holster is necessary (e.g., in a 5-point harness as mentioned above) it's not something I would choose given the option to carry behind the hip or aiwb.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    they're extremely popular among fobbits, though.

And they are the scariest gun handlers of them all.......................ugh.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

What's a fobbit?

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    What's a fobbit?
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...UTF-8&q=fobbit

Google "fobbit." Faster than typing "What's a fobbit?"
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Seabisquet, I care not what Google says - I care what the poster INTENDS.

User Tag List