Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellt or shoulder?

Bellt or shoulder?

Here’s the problem: Removeable belt holster versus shoulder holders. And I’m new a CCV. Got the training, the background check, the mug shot and the fingerprinting. Got the permit to carry concealed. Tried an Uncle Mikes generic IWB. DID NOT FEEL GOOD after a long trial period. Try with the same holster outside waist band, inside belt. Better, but still a PITA. The problem with any belt carry is sitting in some situations, and always when driving. The gun is useless on the belt - removable or otherwise - while riding in a car. Must be removed in those sitting situations.

So I got a very, very, very inexpensive shoulder holster. Took A LOT of adjusting and some sewing by wifie. OK now. Has tie downs. One thing’s for sure - I do not need to remove it when sitting or driving and it’s always accesable - even under heavier outer clothing. Does not require more clothing for concealment than IWB or OWB.

So, the belt holster is better for everything, shooting-wise . . . but horrid for the sitting and driving of which I tend to do so much. Also not so cool in the bathroom, public or private, during siting events. Must be removed during most sitting and all in-car stuff. The shoulder holster never, ever requires removal. It’s just not as good as the belt type holsters in the draw . . . . but of course, not totally unacceptable, either.

May I have your input on this conundrum? And for shoulder holster - verticle or horizontal? You posts addressing these issues will be appreciated.

What kind of belt are you wearing?

I think you'll find a quality IWB holster on a stiff belt will be much more comfortable. And you can find a removable one for driving.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

So you bought a very cheap holster, rightly decided it sucked, and then wrote off carrying on your belt? Did you ever consider buying something that doesn't suck?

If I had a dollar for every time... Look, if you want to carry a gun, you need a good holster. An Uncle Mikes one size fits nothing piece of crap is just that. Even a cursory sweep of this site will reveal that the folks here are carrying in either custom or small shop leather or kydex gear that you have to wait for and that cost anywhere from $65 and up. Carrying takes commitment, you are going to end up trying several holsters and spending a decent amount of money. People are built different and have different needs so it's hard to reccomend holsters to people but I'll suggest that you take a look at few decently made molded (specifically for your gun) holsters that are designed for concealed carry. Blade tech, fobus, galco, are all pretty widely available at a reasonable cost although you'll probably move up to something better eventually once you settle on style and carry position.

I personally wouldn't be interested in a shoulder holster, I don't know of any range that allows you to practice from one and that's a deal breaker for me.

I'd look into some decently made, molded IWB holsters if I were you. Good luck.

What kind of gun do you have?
    And where along the belt would you ideally carry?

I own a shoulder holster. A nice shoulder holster at that. It gets worn once or twice a year whenever I have the displeasure of wearing a suit. It's not an every day solution.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Most guys here, and please mention if I am wrong, are the jeans and t-shirt type and CC on a daily basis.

What gun(s), belt(s), and holster(s) have you tried?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Shoulder Holsters SUCK...You can't train with them, and you can't shoot from them at ANY range that I have ever heard of. The are extremely uncomfortable for me - too much pressure on the muscles of my shoulders and the straps rub and cause discomfort.

I wear at around 2:00 with a slightly canted holster (roughly 5 deg) and I can sit and still draw with no issues, even with a seatbelt on.

I agree that there is that small issue when you have to drop trou, but you just have to be discreet, and you have to realize that every guy that walks in isn't trying to peak under the stall to see what you have going on. Just roll the top of your pants over the butt of the gun in one quick motion, and you have effectively concealed it for the mission. Pull them up in one quick motion and you are good to go.

We are diminished
    I carried in a traditional IWB (at about 4:30 on my belt) for the better part of a decade with no problem. That includes countless 6-10 hour days driving. I normally had a fairly large gun (full size Beretta, SIG P220 or P226, S&W M&P full size). The key was that (a) I used well designed high quality holsters and belts, and (b) I got used to carrying a gun there.

In all my years of shooting and carrying, I've yet to meet a single person I'd consider "serious" who carries in a shoulder holster. As others have said, it's antithetical to the training-before-gear approach that most people at pistol-forum.com adhere to.

Belt, 99.99% of the time. I do own a rather good shoulder rig, an Andrews Monarch, for those few times a shoulder rig is truly indicated, such as being strapped into a helicopter. Otherwise, it has carried a second handgun on a few occasions, when I still wore a pistol in the usual location on the belt.

Don't base your opinion of belt holsters on a cheap Uncle Mike's piece of junk! I can wear a SIG P229 in a Josh Bulman FDS all day, in total comfort. I can wear a medium-framed revolver all day in a Milt Sparks PMK all day, in total comfort. I do wear a REAL belt, not a decorative ribbon around my waist.

Your replies are very much appreciated. Thank you!

I guess I wasn’t as clear or complete as I should have been, so I’ll add the following:

In no way is the cheap stuff I’m using now my final choice. The only reason I got a cheap IWB and a cheap shoulder holster was to experience the various modes of carry. When I buy “for real”, it will be good stuff.

I’m 5’8” tall, weigh 155 pounds on a fat day after a heavy meal, and pants waist size is from 33” to 34”.

Although I have a .357 snubby and a 9mm S&W 3913 with manual safety and mag safety, I carry my S&W M&P full size 9mm with no manual, mag or internal safety. That’s what I plan to do. The 3913 is a BUG. Yes, I know that I’d be more comfy carrying the 3913, but for now I still want to focus on the M&P fs.

My pelvic structure is not optimal. The iliac crest is just too boney to allow comfort at any acceptable level at 3 o’clock. My poorly designed bones dictate that any IWB or OWB must be carried from 3 to 4 or 4:30. Seated behind the steering wheel, especially with the seatbelt on, is seriously uncomfortable and allows only the very most difficult draw. That goes for IWB and OWB, both.

I’m well aware of the restrictions on shoulder holsters at ranges, and they absolutely preclude any worthwhile dynamic official competition. However, I do not accept that “serious gunners don’t use shoulder holsters”, because I consider certain of my friends in, or retired from law enforcement or the military to be very serious gunners. I’m certain there are times, places and circumstances where a shoulder holster is a better choice than belt carry. For example, a person confined to a wheel chair or a person who sits behind the steering wheel of a car almost all day.

Frankly, I’d be WAAAAAAAY happier for IWB strong side to work out for me - but it feels horrid, and I’m not ready to spend real money on something I just can’t tolerate.

OWB feels fine - except when sitting on a couch or sitting in a car. I spend a fair amount of my time in those situations. With either an IWB or OWB, I’d need to remove it in those situations and then put it back on. If I could find ANY belt holster, IWB or OWB, that allowed me to keep it on in the car and sitting in certain chairs, then I’d buy a good one and put up with the chore of dealing with what happens to belt carried weapons while on the water throne.

I do accept that there will be trial and error no matter what route I pursue. I’m just trying to keep the cash drain to a minimum. If I had won the lottery, I would buy several really good holsters of each type and try them out one at a time. Alas, money is an important consideration. I’d like to have enough left to buy really good holster in whatever type I eventually find most practical.

By all means, I hope the commentary will continue. Thanks again!

User Tag List