Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellt or shoulder?

Not so fast, ubervic. I'll post again after the trying out is DONE.

Belt

Oboe I carry in a Blackhawk Serpa, at the 4:30 position, driving can be uncomfortable with the butt of the gun sometimes pressing on the kidney (back) area. What I discovered was that by turning the pistol around in the Serpa, the pistol is in a cross draw position. This works while driving, but be careful getting out of the car. Remember to pur the weapon in the correct position. Or it may drop out of the holster upon exiting the vehicle.

I learned this technique in a class from Sig Academy, on shooting with the non- dominant hand. It was a technique that allowed you to turn the grip and allow you to properly draw with your weapon.

Sounds unconventional, but it works while driving, for me anyway. FMOWW.

Mike

Candidly, I being just a beginner, that just has the sound of trouble. I'd think that the better practice would be to remove the rig while driving, placing it in some other contraption designed for in-car use.

We are diminished
    Reversing the gun in the holster:
    1. Now you're relying on a WHO cross draw. How often do you practice your WHO cross draw?
    2. Some SERPA and similar holsters will actually occassionally lock the pistol when it goes in the holster backwards; be very careful before committing your gun to this.

Car-mounted holster:
    1. What happens if you need to exit the car quickly with other people around who shouldn't see you have a gun?
    2. In a car accident, even a relatively minor one, the gun/holster could go flying.

Given how few people actually draw and fire from the driver's seat, it seems like a particularly odd thing to focus on. Don't get me wrong, I think being able to draw from a seated position is important. But that ability should extend to any time or place that involves being seated and not some specific behind-the-steering-wheel special technique.

Here in Palm Beach County, at least one driver saved his own life through shooting from his car. A fair percentage of self-defense scenarios happen with the target victim in the car. It is an important consideration. I see that a number of rigs are sold for the purpose of holding the gun off-body while driving. Nevertheless, I will search for a strong-side holster that can be utilized from a sitting position.

It was car carry in particular that piqued my interest in starting this thread, so seated access to the gun from a strong-side holster will be something the Holy Grail for me.

I have ZERO problems accessing a pistol in an IWB holster at 3 o'clock--further back can become an issue, as can further forward with my body type. Likewise access to an ankle BUG was also quite good from the driver's seat. Off-body carry in the car is pretty lame--unless it is for a second or third pistol, then I can see the benefit.

RUN! Run away from the Serpa DEATH!

Perhaps my clock reading is off. It seems to me that the bony iliac crest on my body is at 3 an that 3:45 is the first place behind that capable of supporting a gun and holster with serious discomfort approaching pain. It appears that each individual has his or her own possibilities that, unfortunately, aren't transferable to everyone else.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    Here in Palm Beach County, at least one driver saved his own life through shooting from his car. <snip> I see that a number of rigs are sold for the purpose of holding the gun off-body while driving.
    And two counties to the south, Agent Manauzzi probably wished he'd left it in his belt holster...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Touché!

We are diminished
    I'm pretty sure I never said "it never happens."

I'm fairly certain I didn't say "it isn't important."

What I said is that (a) it's rare and less of a consideration, and (b) it shouldn't be something that requires a special piece of gear or technique.

"There was this one guy once" is a dangerous approach to decision making, as demonstrated.

User Tag List