Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: reholstering

I strongly concur RSA, good post.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by DNW View Post
    Sort of off topic, but I don't think this type of range behavior does much to promote post-shooting behavior. What it does do is teach people the "courtesy scan" mostly done to appease the range master if he doesn't see their heads moving. People swing their heads around, don't actually pay attention to anything, and still run back to the holster. I am fine with trying to promote scanning, but the problem with doing it with no context is that seeing is a mental process, not a movement. Shooters need to pay "attention" and actually look at what other people are doing on the range, really check or top off the weapon, actually communicate, and not just run through range dances.
    I totally agree with this assessment of our chant. But it is the best you can do with some people. Sadly, we have to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. If it sticks with a few of them, then it is better than us not saying anything...
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter
    More than once, I've been the only student in a class working from concealed AIWB. While I don't recall ever having an instructor specifically tell me to holster faster, I'm frequently the slowest when it comes to putting the gun away. I've adopted a very firm attitude that I won't be rushed, and I won't do a no-look reholster with a live gun in training, no matter what anyone else says or does. It's my body that's at risk from an ND, not theirs, and I really don't give a rat's ass if anyone gets upset about me holding up the line for a couple extra seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Anyone who forces a speed reholster outside of very specific LE related criteria AND while one is using a duty type rig, or forces the pace of drills at that tempo so that students can not safely reholster or have time to do a post-shooting evaluation, is doing it wrong.

Trying to force a reholster when clothing has made doing so unsafe is a sign that the instructor isn't paying attention to some really important stuff.
    Absolutely! If there is a valid reason to re-holster quickly I haven't found it yet. If I was training with an instructor that encouraged putting the gun away quickly I would Leave Quickly! There are a million reasons for getting the gun out of the holster quickly not so going back.

Aside from the dangers of an AD/ND with "Speed Re-holstering" practitioners are setting themselves up for trouble. What you do in training... The day could come when you still need it but training taught you to put it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I strongly concur RSA, good post.
    I agree. He's a smart dude and runs a good program for his people.

To build on the topic of holstering during classes:

Both in the past and more recently, I've been exposed to the idea of reholstering "like you draw" in order to make the action an additional rep to build more muscle memory (or whatever you want to call it) for the draw.

Personally, I do not abide by this line of thinking. To me, reholstering is its own independent action which demands its own process to be practiced entirely separate from drawing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I've been at plenty of classes where the pace of drills is too fast to do a good reluctant holster. Keep at your own pace and skip a drill if you have to. I've also been the only guy IWB holster that actually conceals where everyone else is rocking the OWB that is like 3 inches away from your body and are not running concealed. Just got to go at your own pace.
    Exactly!

I think the reason that instructors increase the pace is to have the class perform a meaningful number of repetitions in the limited time frame. Many - if not most - students seem to come to class with full-size guns in open-top OWB holsters, and many seem to enjoy slamming their pistol home. If you're going to carry AIWB, with a cover garment, and you intend to practice safely, you have to keep your focus on safety, accept that you're going to be beaten by the rest of the class on the re-holstering, and just be content with your better draw times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I have seen a few situation where you need to holster quickly and without looking at the holster. But they are all more police issues than CHL. I have had my gun out and immediately needed to holster to go hands on. Being able to go straight to the holster, without looking, in an expedicious fashion is sometimes useful... It's probably best learned and practice with a red gun. But on the range, we tell folks it is not a race back to the holster. The FIs chant "scan left, scan right, check 6, then re holster and snap in" after each stage. If you just had to shoot at someone, there is no need to go back to the holster until you have back up or you are sure the threat is down.

-------------
    Side note on re holstering: I had a co worker watching the side of a house while we were banging on the door. Bad guy jumped out a window (through the glass) and my co worker and he got into a scuffle. Co worked had drawn his gun, then got into a wrestling match almost instantly. He had a cheap ass suede IBW holster and could not physically re holster. He ended up having to pistol whip the suspect, until the guys at the front door got around to the side of the house. Could our guy have legally shot the suspect? Probably. But from the jump out the window to full on fight was about 2 seconds. Then for the other agents to come subdue the suspect, roughly 10 seconds. After the fray, he said he wanted to re holster, but couldn't, so he was committed to the pistol in hand with the bad guy wraped around his leg attempting a takedown. As you can guess, OPR (our internal affairs) was called out and a big stink ensued... The agents career survived and he has a much better holster theses days.
    That accurately mirrors my experience as well and there’s lots of video out there of officers doing some pretty silly things because they can’t get the gun reholstered.

IME, there are two major factors that complicate a safe and speedy reholster; always looking at the holster when you reholster in training or on the range, and having a reholstering technique that doesn’t closely resemble a reversed draw.

As previously noted, this may not be as much of an issue outside of the law enforcement application, but in that context it's a serious and recurring issue.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Re holstering for LE is a critical skill for two reasons. Neither have much to do with the shooting or range side of the equation. First, you draw and have your gun out a lot in many areas. Basically it comes down to being good at both getting the gun in and out of the holster fluidly and safely. I use a very structured draw and reversal process that mirror each other. The other issue is getting a gun out of a fight. There will be times when an "unarmed" suspect or one who you believe may be armed but isn't and they will try to lure you in for a take away attempt. Trust me, this is a very bad situation. The benefit to many security holsters is they are secure and getting the gun in them during a take away attempt so you can get your hands free to deal with the threat. Again, this really doesn't require much live work.
    As far as actual "post shooting" holstering. You should not be in a hurry. I actually have zero issue with people looking the gun into the holster after a shooting. I have been present at enough officer involved shootings that at the re-holster stage, many are a simple disaster and very much feeling the effects of mass adrenaline dump and chaos. I am not alone in those. Pat Rogers is on board with me as well having been at or in a ton of these as well.
    Essentially, post shooting holstering, and holstering during a non-shooting incident are a different dynamic.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I was lurking on this thread as I didn't have much to add and just taking in the knowledge you guys shared. I happened to come across one of Tom Givens' older newsletters on what to do after you finish shooting that seems to have some good points that many of you laid out, but a benefit he laid out of not reholstering as fast as possible is that you have an opportunity to train positive on what you'd want to do after you finish shooting. The relevant article is on pages 10-11 (link: http://www.rangemaster.com/wp-conten...Newsletter.pdf).

User Tag List